STOLEN!! FZJ80 southern New Mexico (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is quite impressive to me as a layperson... have we ever heard of an 80's airbags not deploying?
Dunno. I once looked for recalls on my Cruiser. Guess what? There are none.

UPDATE!!

Good news: it’s been FOUND

Bad news: it was involved in a substantial crash that took out a pine tree.

What I currently know about it’s state is that both airbags deployed, the hood, rad support, and fenders are clearly toast along with the lights/grill. Sunroof is also broken but that appears to be from a branch and not impact related. Both driver and passenger doors open and close easily. Also good news, whoever was in the vehicle clearly hit their head on the windshield and injured themselves so f*** them, I hope it still hurts.

What I don’t know is how long it was left running after impact and if it sat overheating and now has engine damage along with how extensive the damage to other front end components may be.

Now, I need to try and assess the state of this thing from 1,000 miles away and figure out if I really want to tackle this project. Body work is not my area of expertise in any way so I’d probably look to have the majority of that work like replacing the core support done (semi) professionally.

So, what do I do from here? Do I try and restore this thing if just let it go? It’s “free” to me at this point and all money would go into restoration from here on out.

View attachment 3002630

View attachment 3002633
View attachment 3002632
View attachment 3002631
The engine would have shut down immediately upon airbag deployment. There is a shut off associated with the impact sensor.

That's a lot of damage and it looks like the front frame rails are bent.

If the air bags deployed, the impact was over 15 MPH.

The passenger obviously did not have on a seatbelt.

Hate hearing this stuff, but glad you got some closure.

For what it’s worth, I have one AirTag in each of my rides for this specific reason. They work great. Just got back from a trip and had one in each of my checkin luggage too.

Hate hearing this stuff, but glad you got some closure.

For what it’s worth, I have one AirTag in each of my rides for this specific reason. They work great. Just got back from a trip and had one in each of my checkin luggage too.
I have air tags and viper alarm system with gps tracking.

After 25 years, airbags still worked. #toyota
This is a long shot, but figured I’d at least let the community know. A friend of mines single owner 1997 80 series was stolen from their house in Las Cruces, New Mexico last week. It was about 2 weeks away from being sold to me as well. Other than the sun damaged paint it was in excellent condition with zero rust (not even surface rust!) and about 173k miles. It’s probably now in Mexico somewhere, being that this was close to the border, but if anyone hears or sees anything please either reach out or contact the Las Cruces PD (575) 526-0795

In the meantime I’m extremely bummed, because not only was this a super clean cruiser for cheap, but I grew up traveling the country to mountain bikes races in this thing and have a lot of sentimental attachment to it. At the end of the day it’s just “stuff” and my friends are safe and unharmed.

Please move if this isn’t appropriate for this forum.

View attachment 2993742
View attachment 2993744

View attachment 2993743
I have air tags and viper alarm system with gps tracking.
As do I, along with a ebrake shifter lock 🤦‍♂️, but then again I am a fairly new (and paranoid) owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom