STOLEN!! FZJ80 southern New Mexico (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a long shot, but figured I’d at least let the community know. A friend of mines single owner 1997 80 series was stolen from their house in Las Cruces, New Mexico last week. It was about 2 weeks away from being sold to me as well. Other than the sun damaged paint it was in excellent condition with zero rust (not even surface rust!) and about 173k miles. It’s probably now in Mexico somewhere, being that this was close to the border, but if anyone hears or sees anything please either reach out or contact the Las Cruces PD (575) 526-0795

In the meantime I’m extremely bummed, because not only was this a super clean cruiser for cheap, but I grew up traveling the country to mountain bikes races in this thing and have a lot of sentimental attachment to it. At the end of the day it’s just “stuff” and my friends are safe and unharmed.

Please move if this isn’t appropriate for this forum.

4712A613-8D2A-4786-8CC9-D378DA63523A.jpeg

537598EC-741F-40FC-9B8B-F0028F9CC090.jpeg

0D6FC717-0D5F-416F-A2A9-54D2B42DC136.jpeg

Just curious even if it is in Mexico and spotted can anything be done at that point.
I honestly don’t know, I’d assume alerting the local authorities to a grand theft auto case would get some attention, but it’s Juarez and they have more unsolved murders than almost anywhere else in the world. At least we’d get some closure on where it ended up.

Maybe if someone spots it they can duct tape one of those Apple AirTags to it, like on the top side of the spare tire cross member? Then just let the OP know and he can take action as he sees fit?

My heart aches for you. Last May 8th my 1997 80 was stolen. It sucks so much!!!

I’ll keep an eye out for it in the Santa Fe area.

devo
Sorry to hear about your 80 and thanks for keeping your eyes open.

This is a wake up call and making me feel even more protective of my 40.

Recently had a crew of workers who were working next door doing carpentry/roofing. A couple of them looked (drooling) at my 80's as they sat in the driveway like they were $$$$$ on wheels (which they are). My concern was that they might come back when I'm not home.

Point is, as these have become sought after has anyone stuffed an ?Airpod under the carpet (not sure how those work, don't have an iphone) or used any other sort of tracking device??

Last edited:
I hate to hear this and worry about something similar happening to me with the way the values of 80s have sky rocketed. I recently had my catalytic converter stolen at the airport in Portland, OR. Super aggravating. I always garage mine at home, but I know that is not an option for everyone.

Last edited:
Recently had a crew of workers who were working next door doing carpentry/roofing. A couple of them looked (drooling) at ,u 80's as they sat in the driveway like they were $$$$$ on wheels (which they are). My concern was that they might come back when I'm not home.

Point is, as these have become sought after has anyone stuffed an ?Airpod under the carpet (not sure how those work, don't have an iphone) or used any other sort of tracking device??
@stockmax - so sorry to hear about this :mad: Hopefully it will turn up.

@Kernal - This is the route I took. Very happy with the performance so far.

Stolen Land Cruisers -- Common Factors - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/stolen-land-cruisers-common-factors.1251713/post-13847319

or used any other sort of tracking device??

I'm currently waiting for a new 5G tracker to arrive. Once I get it running, I'll make a thread about it. I still have to figure out some details about the data plan and communication.

I've been using a 2G tracker that communicates by text message, but it's been a bit flaky and it's not the most robust communication method.

That's terrible. Sorry to hear about your rig being stolen. Have you also tried posting on the local car for sale groups on Nextdoor and Facebook?

I'm currently waiting for a new 5G tracker to arrive. Once I get it running, I'll make a thread about it. I still have to figure out some details about the data plan and communication.

I've been using a 2G tracker that communicates by text message, but it's been a bit flaky and it's not the most robust communication method.
5G tracker--will that work where there's no 5G?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom