STLCA 40 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've done nothing on my "to-do" list, but I did get the rear lap belts in and figured out the soft top, so after an oil change we headed down to Rogers for the trip to Arkansas.

1007181459.jpg

1006181054.jpg

I should not be left alone...

0630191846.jpg

An old friend in N Georgia has a fairly unmolested 40 that will be up for sale soon. I understand he got it running after he left it sitting in a field for about 10 years. It does not look horrible but would need a good taking apart. I think he is going to ask about 7k for it. 15 years ago it would have been a $2000 truck on the high end.

I would consider buying it if he would give it to me for under 5.

Wow, 40s have gotten stupid. I don't think we have that much in the one we have now and it is pretty well put together. I can't imagine giving 7k for a barn find/ field find that is going to have to be blown apart to be a decent truck. Running and driving seems to be all it takes these days, and don't have to do either very well.

Picked up a new set of shocks for the front of the 40. Its been just sitting in the garage in pieces, so I'm gonna get it back together so we can drive it around some before it gets cold out.

0829192046.jpg

The shocks on that 40 are only 18 years old. No way they're worn out😁

One of them had zero juice left, One still had a little life in it, but neither of them had a complete bushing left in either end.

0630191619.jpg

Figured out where the rattle in the front end was coming from...

0630191609.jpg

Matthew, you will like the bilsteins, I have them on my 40. They ride great!

Well, I figured today was as good as any to start working on front swapping the 40.
20200402_180315.jpg

20200402_183926.jpg

Got the DS fender and bezel support off. Test fit the DS fender off the pile.

20200402_185222.jpg

Just test fit. Gonna be a good bit more work to get it all squared away.

20200402_185731.jpg

Still have to pull the hood and PS fender off to get the rest of the front stripped of all the 78 parts.

Plan is to get the rest of the old stuff off, then the real fun starts. The steering box has started leaking, so it needs replacing and while the front is tore apart it sure will be easy to get to.

So, replace leaking steering box, rebuild knuckles, replace tie-rods and bolt on the front clip off the 69 with all new hardware and rewire and replace lenses and bulbs as we go. Should be fun.

@jynx I think you’re going in the wrong direction with the sheet metal. Tube fenders will be the better choice for rollovers.

@jynx I think you’re going in the wrong direction with the sheet metal. Tube fenders will be the better choice for rollovers.

That is actually the plan. This is going to be a top down cruiser and bunny slope rig. We tried it at Crawl and it just isn't our speed. Going to turn it back into a good driver and see if I can wedge some 38.5s under the 80 for trail duties.

Well after she sheding yesterday and after Easter lunch today. I hit the shop for a little wrenching while the rain fell outside.

The PS of this truck has lots of "extras" that had to be worked around.

First casualty was the battery hold down stud.
20200412_192709.jpg

So I will have to get a new box orders.

After some work, the last casualty was a fender bolt... this one socks A LOT!

20200412_192702.jpg

I'm hoping with some wd40 and a left hand drill bit I can back it out.

And here is the spaghetti that I had to work around.
20200412_192339.jpg

Most of it is the wiring for the winch plugs on each end and the ARB compressor. I'll be tidying that up before the front goes back on.

'69 fender is the same in shape, but is missing several brackets.

I will have to make a new reinforcing plate for the charcoal canister. The main thing i need is the coil mount which looks to be spot welded onto the fender.
20200412_192355.jpg

I could likely drill it out and swap it onto the old fender, but I'd kind of like to simplify it.. since I am going to a sniper setup, I may look at a DUI/HEI style dizzy and just not worry with the OE coil.

Anyway, front is pretty well stripped, just need to pull the hood and that should have all the sheet metal parts that are getting replaced off.

20200412_192721.jpg

Now I need to pull the winch and plate off so I can get to the steering box off to replace it since it is leaking. Also, sniper install and front axle rebuild are on the list and I'm sure I'll find some other bits to replace/rebuild while the front is off.

Whoever put this crazy winch plate assembly on and did the steering clearly did not have future maintenance in mind...

The nuts for these two lovely bolts were in the frame...

20200425_175120.jpg

Unfortunately when you box the frame to mount a Saginaw box this is what that looks like.

20200425_184427.jpg

To get to those 2 nuts the entire front end must be completely stripped.
20200425_184244.jpg

This is entirely too many bolts to have to get the front end apart. Not to mention they are of all makes, JIS metric, US metric, standard, Phillips...

20200425_184220.jpg

Between the impact, grinder, a big screw driver a hammer, whatever else was i could find and about 2 hours, the winch plate is off so I can get to the steering box.

20200425_184458.jpg

Now I just need to figure out which box it is and get a new one ordered. Also got to get the other bumper brackets off and then clean up the frame rails and decide how its going back together, cause I'm not putting all that back on there.

Well, the offender has been removed.
20200426_160512.jpg

It looks like the input seal took a dump.

This bolt sucked, the hanger will need a little more clearancing...

20200426_154619.jpg

After looking over the frame plate
20200426_160816.jpg

And the pump mount.
20200426_165305.jpg

What I have figured is this is a Man-a-Fre kit with their pump bracket as well. The bracket does not align the belts properly, so basically I'm cleaning it all up.

The box is an older unit with the flared fittings, so I will be replacing with a newer model box, picking up a new pump, bracket and associated lines. Probably a new cooler while I'm in there.

Should be a good time...

Matt if I remember correctly that pump and box were off a 75 K-5 Blazer.

Awesome. Thanks Andy. That makes sense. From my research I came up with a pre-1980 GM 800 box.

New Pump bracket and Pulley ordered from @orangefj45 yesterday. He also gave me some advice on a new pump and box and where to pick them up.

Once I have all the hard parts in, I think I am going to look at doing -6 fittings so I can have lines made that are a little more universal for future maintenance.

After I get steering sorted, it will be time to talk to @FJ60Cam about a Sniper setup for it. In the interim I need to be sorting and straightening up the wiring on the Passenger side. I also need to get the tires off and start rebuilding the front axle while it is down. I already have all that stuff in a pile on a shelf except any brake work/upgrades that are needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom