STLCA 40 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well since it was pouring rain today, there was no outdoor work to be had, so I finally got back on the 40. I stared on the passenger side for no particular reason, but everything came apart relatively easily.

The knuckles appeared to be full of bearing grease instead of moly, but they were certainly full.
20200913_144742.jpg

Then when I cleaned off the flats I found this magic word...

20200913_145243.jpg

I know there has been some discussion about what grease is best for Longs, so maybe that's why it wasn't a heavy moly grease. Don't know, but I'll be going back with moly.

Pulled the shock to give me a little more room and with a little work I had a ball ready for assembly and a table full of parts that need cleaning and painting.

20200913_163656.jpg

20200913_163631.jpg

I also pulled the old bumpstop and "extension" off and then went about removing the short side axle hard line. The end that meets the soft line broke behind the fitting when I tried to remove it. The threaded part was seized onto the line. No worries, I was already planning to put in a call to @Rainman for some new hardliners anyway.

20200913_163618.jpg

20200913_163643.jpg

I have a few misc parts to pick up, like rotors and calipers, the hardliners and some other misc hardware. Plan to do a little pit filling on the balls with some JB weld and then hit them with some epoxy to seal them up, the reassemble with all new stuff from the inside out. Then on to the drivers side.

I'm more intrigued by the old reservoir in the background

whew, cant decide which looks worse. :moon:
It is super solid. Been sitting in the Arizona sun for 25 years. Even still has the AM radio and speaker in the pocket.
I think will strip the inside and either Rust Bullet or POR 15 the entire floor. It was full of leaves so that gave it some rust on the floor.
I really am not sure what to do with it since it is so solid. I am leaning toward a mild wheeler like the Mule was.

For Matt - this us what I did this weekend. All by my lonesome so I am beat up.
20 x 60 equipment shed with five bays. I should have done 8' in the front and 6' in the back but I went with 10' and 8'. 5 bays: 10,12,12,12,10. I am going to put a tim roof on and T111 on three sides. Eventually I will build a couple sliding doors for a couple bays - maybe the two end ones amd the center one. No electricity. Just storage for Betsy and trailers and lumber and s*** like that until I get the new garage built. Site prep is going to be expensive so I am considering sinking that money into a tractor.
IMG-20201004-WA0008.jpeg

It is super solid. Been sitting in the Arizona sun for 25 years. Even still has the AM radio and speaker in the pocket.
I think will strip the inside and either Rust Bullet or POR 15 the entire floor. It was full of leaves so that gave it some rust on the floor.
I really am not sure what to do with it since it is so solid. I am leaning toward a mild wheeler like the Mule was.

is all good, my latest money pit came from detroit and was in as good a shape as you can imagine. I damned sick of cutting out and replacing rust.

Another - kind of looks fisheye but you can get the idea. Be cool to fill the one on the left.View attachment 2456536

Your new kingdom looks like it needs to be viewed in person. So when is the party at your place so all the lookie Lou's and riffraff can stop by? [Yes, I included riffraff too because I don't want to be excluded]

is all good, my latest money pit came from detroit and was in as good a shape as you can imagine. I damned sick of cutting out and replacing rust.

Rusty new project... has this been shared with the general population?

@Hugh Heifer your shop can have stadium seating!

That is super cool. But im a need for stuff like that.

Rusty new project... has this been shared with the general population?

nope, under wraps but dovetails into a PM from a few months back.

nope, under wraps but dovetails into a PM from a few months back.

Super Secret Squirrel Sh!t is the best kind of squirrel sh!t

And I recall that PM, interested to see where that ends up :cool:

damn, that is cool. Pics didnt show up earlier so i missed it. Whats the story for those out of the loop.
They were reservoirs for the the fire system at the Lindale Mill. If it caught fire they pulled a valve and the water flowed to the system down the hill. It was built in the late 1800s and resurfaced several times making parts of it 12 inches thick or more. I think the last surface was added in 1949. Our neighor has lived here all his life and remembers catching massive bass in the reservoirs. Since only trespassing kids would get into them from time to time the fish grew large.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom