Stihl M-Tronic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rkymtnflyfisher

Trout Bum
Threads
I'm looking to step up to a M362 saw with the M-Tronic tech. I like to keep things simple but I can get the saw for around $700 with the M-Tronic or the one without for a little over $800.

Anyone have any first hand experience with a saw with the M-Tronic?

Any issues you've had?

Any major concerns about failures or performance?

Anything I should be aware of before stepping into a saw with the M-Tronic?

If this is the computer controlled carb, I have it on my 261 and love it. That saw runs great. Half the weight of my 046 and will cut bigger logs just as fast. The 261 is a fantastic saw. Run a skip chisel chain on it and you don't need anything bigger until you get into 26" diameter logs.

If this is the computer controlled carb, I have it on my 261 and love it. That saw runs great. Half the weight of my 046 and will cut bigger logs just as fast. The 261 is a fantastic saw. Run a skip chisel chain on it and you don't need anything bigger until you get into 26" diameter logs.

Yeah. It's the new computer controlled system so to speak, like leaving a carb behind and going to fuel injection.

I run a 290 right now, probably close to it's max. 28" bar and a 3/8" full chisel chain, it handles it but you have to know when to back off when cutting. It is easy to bog it down. That's what brings me to the 362, a pro grade saw with more power behind it.

I'm just a firewood hoarder, not doing it for a living.

Then I wouldn't be at all worried about the M-Tronic. My little saw runs great. I have a number of Stihls, the 261 being the smallest, but it seriously cuts wood faster than my big saws that can mill 30" oak. As I get older, lugging around a 14 lab saw starts to be felt. The lighter, high RMP pro saws are worth the $$.

Ryan, I have the Husky equivalent to Mtronic and it’s a sweet saw but pretty fickle about fuel when it’s hot outside. I’ve been running the premix 93 from Lowe’s or Tractor supply and it’s solved the problem.

The electronic carbs have been out for awhile and if you are buying from a decent dealer, there shouldn’t be any problems. My BIL has the 362 and it’s not even on the same planet as the Farm Boss.

The electronic carbs have been out for awhile and if you are buying from a decent dealer, there shouldn’t be any problems. My BIL has the 362 and it’s not even on the same planet as the Farm Boss.

Per my conversation with the local saw shop owner yesterday they are on the 4th generation of the M-Tronic controlled saws now, he did mention that there were some problems with some of the earlier ones.

He also mentioned he doesn't have the capability (laptop/software) to troubleshoot the M-Tronic system, it would need to go out to another shop to get serviced. That is one of the reasons he has that saw marked down to $700, most of his customer base likes old saws with adjustable carbs, something that can be tuned in the field if something doesn't work right.

Nothing like wasting a day driving up in the mountains and having a 13 lb. paper weight that won't start.

Per my conversation with the local saw shop owner yesterday they are on the 4th generation of the M-Tronic controlled saws now, he did mention that there were some problems with some of the earlier ones.

He also mentioned he doesn't have the capability (laptop/software) to troubleshoot the M-Tronic system, it would need to go out to another shop to get serviced. That is one of the reasons he has that saw marked down to $700, most of his customer base likes old saws with adjustable carbs, something that can be tuned in the field if something doesn't work right.

Nothing like wasting a day driving up in the mountains and having a 13 lb. paper weight that won't start.

I had an opportunity for a huge easy firewood score and the Husky blew the recoil starter on the 3rd pull. It started my love hate relationship with it. Doesn’t D’animal rebuilt and sell hopped up Stihls?

I had an opportunity for a huge easy firewood score and the Husky blew the recoil starter on the 3rd pull. It started my love hate relationship with it. Doesn’t D’animal rebuilt and sell hopped up Stihls?

That's always my concern when I'm an hour back in the mountains, something going south on the saw, unfortunately that would lead me to a day of fishing.

Or as my buddy does, getting a bar caught in a standing tree!

The new saw will become my primary saw, leaving my MS290 as my backup. Which isn't exactly a bad thing.

well, if a shop is selling a more advanced tech product at a lower price to get rid of it, that would give me pause.

well, if a shop is selling a more advanced tech product at a lower price to get rid of it, that would give me pause.

Exactly.

That's what leads me to the all knowing Mud.

His statement had to do with more of the older customer base prefers the old school carb models, which means it's easier for him to move the regular saws off the shelf.

sure, but is there a good reason for the old timers to stay away from it, aside from inertia? As in reliability, complete lack of adjustability, etc? Btw, do these things compensate for altitude somehow?
Electronics are often more reliable than mechanical devices, though. Maybe just taking a spare ECU when off to the mountains might do, if not overly expensive?
It's a marvel to me that carbs work as well as they do, actually.

He also mentioned he doesn't have the capability (laptop/software) to troubleshoot the M-Tronic system, it would need to go out to another shop to get serviced.
So how far off for you to get it to a “modern” dealer? Hard to beat EFI for better performance...

So how far off for you to get it to a “modern” dealer? Hard to beat EFI for better performance...

I'm going to guess 40 miles.

sure, but is there a good reason for the old timers to stay away from it, aside from inertia? As in reliability, complete lack of adjustability, etc? Btw, do these things compensate for altitude somehow?
Electronics are often more reliable than mechanical devices, though. Maybe just taking a spare ECU when off to the mountains might do, if not overly expensive?
It's a marvel to me that carbs work as well as they do, actually.

Generally I think the old timers avoid new tech just based on unfamiliarity and reluctance to try something different. If the old carb saw works well why mess with it.

The biggest question, is the M-Tronic any less reliable than the older saws?

Usually once the bugs are worked out stuff like this makes the old stuff look like it barely worked.

looks like that thing meters the fuel in the carb. Seems far from what we think of as "fuel injection". There is still a great deal of carb there from what I could see.
They do say it compensates for altitude and fuel quality, I just read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom