Stiff steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 03 LX with VGRS. My steering has some intermittent stiffness. As I turn he steering wheel it’s stiff and then loose and then stiff again.

I have suspicion that it’s the u-joint on the steering shaft since the problem comes and goes (possibly the u-joint falling in and out of alignment).

The problem has come and gone over the last three years but seems to be happening more often.

Has anyone else experienced this, and do you think I’m on the right track?

I have a hunting trip I’m leaving for next week and am am wondering if this can wait or if I should get it fixed ASAP.

Last edited:
I have an 04 LC without VGRS. Mine developed a similar issue recently. Steering feel like it was binding and then releasing as I turned the wheel. I searched the forum and couldn't find anything definitive. Dealership said steering rack was bad. Replacing the steering rack solved the issue.

I have the same issue after 244 on the clock. I’m doing a new toy steering rack, steering rod, rack bushings, tie rods and while I’m there LCA bushings and bolts. I have also added skids to replacement lca’s. Basically a new front end.

Ok, if the rack is the issue is it still safe to drive until I get it fixed? I only have 145k on the clock, so seems odd that it would go out this early.

Ok, if the rack is the issue is it still safe to drive until I get it fixed? I only have 145k on the clock, so seems odd that it would go out this early.

My truck has 160k. I drove mine for a month or so after I noticed it getting stiff. It got worse during Hundreds in the Hills, and I drove it home. Mine was fine on the interstate. Slow hard turns were the worst. Felt like no power steering.

Dang - did not want to hear that a new steering rack fixed this issue; I'm sure that's not cheap. I've had a similar intermittent problem and was considering pulling the VGRS fuse to see if that fixes it, but its only happened a handful of times in the last year.

Sounds like your rack is going bad, but i'd try to flush out the power steering first before changing the rack. Flush it out completely with transmission fluid, not power steering fluid. Drive around for a couple days then flush it again, if it's still bad then grab your ankles because the VGRS for an LX isn't cheap and the labor is horrible.

Will flush and hope it gets better. If not, it's not a big deal yet, but will be prepared for when it becomes a big deal.

=(

Well, I have a theory about my symptom which is the same as yours. However I’m replacing the front end and may not ever know if my theory is correct.

The theory is that the bushings are gone on the rack and it shifts around which makes the steering rod bind on that u joint.

I’m replacing things to keep the truck going for years in a kinda of reset. Also I plan to keep wheeling on 35” tires and want it as solid as the factory stuff can make it.

I'll give those bushings a good looksie when I get under the thing next. I appreciate the suggestion, definitely worth a look. Wish I'd known when I replaced my passenger inner/outer tie rods like three months ago!

I'll give those bushings a good looksie when I get under the thing next. I appreciate the suggestion, definitely worth a look. Wish I'd known when I replaced my passenger inner/outer tie rods like three months ago!
I also noticed sometime if I whipped around a left hand corner that my wheel was centered where usually (since lazy alignment) it has been 45mm to the left of center. That also makes me think the rack is shifting around.

Well, I have a theory about my symptom which is the same as yours. However I’m replacing the front end and may not ever know if my theory is correct.

The theory is that the bushings are gone on the rack and it shifts around which makes the steering rod bind on that u joint.

I’m replacing things to keep the truck going for years in a kinda of reset. Also I plan to keep wheeling on 35” tires and want it as solid as the factory stuff can make it.

I believe this may have some legs. My steering is perfect as well other than very tight, almost locked turns. I try to never hit the steering lock as I feel the 34s on my truck just present too much risk to stress them that much. I also know my bushings are toast, to the extent that I can feel the rack moving over sharp bumps through the steering wheel and the brake pedal.

I believe this may have some legs. My steering is perfect as well other than very tight, almost locked turns. I try to never hit the steering lock as I feel the 34s on my truck just present too much risk to stress them that much. I also know my bushings are toast, to the extent that I can feel the rack moving over sharp bumps through the steering wheel and the brake pedal.

Y'know, in hindsight, I think every time this has happened has been during sudden whip turns; a quick three pointer in the middle of the road the first time, and a 90 left/90 right parking lot maneuver....

Gonna order those bushings off Amazon today and see if I can't get them swapped out sometime in the next few weeks.

I did the tear down on the front end to replace the rack and LCA’s. Here’s a few photos. I’m going more than just bushing or a rack.

Yes, I’m lucky to have use of a lift. Also anti seize on the toughdog tbar ends 2 years ago was a super awesome idea.
E9A18AC8-6FBF-4009-B6C9-64394D72156F.jpeg

32F4420D-297D-42E6-B14C-1A2214BE4203.jpeg
AB3C373D-A6C9-4F3D-BFB4-6D7555F3FDD0.jpeg
0332A615-9685-4DB5-AC61-69A87584D483.jpeg
F4428B98-0D0C-45A4-91D8-BC2C8F469D58.jpeg

It's gonna feel like a dream when you're done. That's a gratifying feeling for sure. I've got diff, rack, LCA bushings, LBJs and TREs waiting to go in, too. I shouldn't be so excited for maintenance items.

When you roll it out, introduce that poor thing to a pressure washer 😁

I just saw this... I have the same thing happening to my 05'. I'll flush the system before going the R&P replacement.

So, I happened to be reading a Tundra forum over the weekend. There was a mechanic who says he sees this issue on tundras that have some rust on it. The U-joint knuckle that attaches to the steering rack will start to bind if there's any rust in it. I hit mine with some penetrating oil (it did look a little crusty), and the problem instantly went away! I may still look at replacing that lower shaft with a new knuckle, but for now the steering is silky smooth again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom