Stetched 40 on a 60 frame thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.irontonforge.com
Hey Guys, I'm looking for a stretched Fj40 mounted to an Fj 60 frame thread. I've been looking for a week.. found a couple of threads that were never completed. Read all 100 pages of Danimals build (that took awhile).

I've been gathering parts and hope to start the project this winter. I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if possible! I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

thanks! :popcorn:

Frankenstein here on mud....
fj55 frame with a 40 body.... he wrote if he was to do it again he would just stretch a 40....
I will look for the thread... pretty awesome lots of work with all the frame mounts being different.
I have ponderd the same project many sleepless nights. Unless you allready own all the parts it would be cheaper with cutting a 40......
Here it is....
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rotm-october-frankenstein.181721/

If knew how to post a pic I would.
Still need to find a host to post....

So what do you have saved up?
Whacha got.....

Last edited:
Thanks guys! The Frankenstein is awesome, but a bit more than I want.

I'm going with the 60 frame because it's stronger and I plan to use 60 axles, may also use the 60 tranny... still deciding on the tranny.

Not concerned about fabricating brackets/mounts. I'm a blacksmith (www.irontonforge.com) and own a metal fabrication business, with lots of metal working equipment. I also have access to a friends sheet metal shop! :)

Reevesci, how much do you plan on stretching the 40? Are you going to start a thread? I'm thinking 18" on my stretch...

Surely, some one has done this before. If anyone knows of a thread, please send it to me. Thanks!

Yes, I will start a thread. 12-20" is what I'm thinking. Once I get the tub cut away from the rear rocker and the hardside from the B-pillar I will pllay with the "stretch".

Frame, I plan on cutting about 2"-3" in front of the rear spring hanger and then extending.

I'm not going to put a glass in my new "cut" hardside. the rear liftgate and corner glass will stay. I haven't decided if I will make the liftgate usuable or weld it to the hardsides. But will make the sides and top removeable. Along with two sets of doors, Full and halfs.

Will keep the full tub dimensions as the bed with barn doors.

Maybe a full tub/bed rack/cage.

Time will tell.. I bought these 2 40s for product development and have decided to do something with the two of them... I started a thread in the 40s section (2 for 1 or 1 for 2... I will name him Bart...) but will have it moved or start a new thread here. I was going to go the soft top route and more traditonal restomod.... but NAH! Time for some fun.

J

Looks like you have a solid plan! I look forward to following your thread. What size of material do you plan to use on the rear quarter panels? I'm thinking of using 12 ga. and form by hand, or 10 ga. and use a roll for the corners.

I checked out your bumper link... I'm impressed. Great designs and well crafted! you should do well.

Cheers!

Maybe I can have you do some metal work....
Where do you live?

I also have a planned 40 project, but will go with a 4 door and end up at 116 to 120 inch range.
http://projectfj4door.blogspot.com

I also may just go with a fj62. Since you have a fj60 will you get a hard measurement on the front frame rails for me please? The books say 796mm from frame rail center to center. Which comes out to 31.3" inches if my math is correct. The Chevy Dana 60 is 31.5" from center pin to pin. So by the books it's a darn close fit. But what is the reality on that? Please help.

Gary in Coalinga CA.

Last edited:
Looks like you have a solid plan! I look forward to following your thread. What size of material do you plan to use on the rear quarter panels? I'm thinking of using 12 ga. and form by hand, or 10 ga. and use a roll for the corners.

I checked out your bumper link... I'm impressed. Great designs and well crafted! you should do well.

Cheers!

I'll be going with 16ga to match all the other 68/69 material and then "plating" the wheel well openings in either 3/16" or 1/4" with an 1 1/2" or 1 5/8" rub rail on the outside of the well opening.. May do this on the front fenders too, just gotta figure out how to make it look right..

J

Maybe I can have you do some metal work....
Where do you live?

I also have a planned 40 project, but will go with a 4 door and end up at 116 to 120 inch range.
http://projectfj4door.blogspot.com

I also may just go with a fj62. Since you have a fj60 will you get a hard measurement on the front frame rails for me please? The books say 796mm from frame rail center to center. Which comes out to 31.3" inches if my math is correct. The Chevy Dana 60 is 31.5" from center pin to pin. So by the books it's a darn close fit. But what is the reality on that? Please help.

Gary in Coalinga CA.

Gary,
I don't have the 60 frame just yet... I've located 3 of them and hope to make a decisions the next few days. Been waaay too busy forging iron.

I like your wheelbase numbers... guess I'll stay with the original 107.5". Also like the 4 doors idea! At first, I wanted the same, but after much contemplating, a two door better suits my needs. Just me,a female, and some gear and beer!:clap:

When do you expect to start your build? Will you start a thread?

Reevesci, I look forward to your build :popcorn:

I'll be at the factory 90" plus up to 20" + a little (2"+/-) to center the tire in the well opening. 35s and 37s don't like the front of a 40 opening too much.

Agreed. It will be nice to have the wheel centered in the opening!:)

Wow! that's longer than the 60. With your fabrication skills, you should be fine!

When I was thinking of stretching a 40 frame... I decided I would pop some chalk lines on the shop floor prior to cutting and then use a plumb bob to realign. Along with some marks on the frame for tape measure squaring (hate to break out the laser level). Just curious, what are your plans?

Reply to Anvil...
I am actually looking for a DD daily driver 20 miles per day. Trying to find a decent 62 and finding that the 80s are cheaper. If I get a 62 I will wheel & drive it. If I get a 80 then I will look for a body & frame of a 40 & build the 40 slow. As for a thead not for a long time. I will keep the blog updated.

So back to you..... Im watching the thread and look forward to your build.

I went the stretched frame route on my 40 and it worked pretty well. I stretched mine 27" so I have a 117" wheelbase.

Check out Danimal 40.5 build i think is what it's labeled .... And I think if I read right ( your in cal ) he'd be down the 198 from you.... And I'm in lemoore.

Thanks hudyhue... I will look at Danimals build.

Anvil, how is your project coming along?

Not sure if the thread is still active ? this is a 78 fj45 with added extra cab. It's my own build. I also rebuilt my bj 42 in Stainless steel, half cab.
I love the 40/45 series and am open to doing projects and for hire. I'm currently thinking of a 44 or a 46 version.
DSCN3186.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom