ROTM October FRANKENSTEIN (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserland

I don't care if the world explodes
SILVER Star
Threads
Franky was inspired by several trips to Moab in my FJ40 while living in Colorado.
I wanted a truck with a longer wheelbase, like a 45. I found some beat rigs and decided to make my own.

The red 40 was a '75, with a rebuilt 2F, which I eventually put in a 55 and sold
The 55 was a 74 I think, someone rolled it while rope towing an FJ40 down the highway. It was a good runner and the engine was traded to a friend for a Willys pickup cab on a blazer chassis. Quite an eyesore, but it had a demon of a V8 in it!

55 guy Matt took the carcass away, have fun driving down Boulder canyon!
sc000118b3.jpg
frank2.jpg
frank3.jpg

Once that was out of the way the fun began. I used the frame from the 55 and the bodies of two 40's. I wanted the kick windows in the top, so had to start there for a length of front section. Rear took its own shape after chopping rear frame horns of 55 frame. Used what I had, which was a bunch of rusty parts and patches. Had to move and fabricate all new body mount brackets on frame; cut off stock brackets and moved them in most cases.
frank4.jpg
frank5.jpg
frank6.jpg

Truck was built sping under, but once the V8 and SM465 went it went to SOA with stock 55 springs on 38x12.50 swampers. In 1999 we moved to New Hampshire and Franky sat in my Dads garage for a year or so. Once I got my shop going it wasn't long til it was on the trails. Here at Whittier, on 36" TSL's.
frank7.jpg
frank8.jpg

So the body was finally done and yes the paint was hardly dry before the FG at Whittier, what year was that? Really started to get some seat time and got pretty comfy wheelin'. Roof and bars were added as needed Started breaking Birfs....welded in the rear only still, broke rear springs and pinion somewhere on my land. Went to a 2 inch lift spring and stepped up to the 39.5'" TSL's,put a lockright in the front, and rolled it the next time out, yes very tippy. Hot the hang of it and broke the springs in. Broke more Birfs.
frank9.jpg
frank10.jpg
frank11.jpg

I put in Long's 30 spline axle set and have had good luck. Truck seems to work well. Wheelbase is right around 113", I did move the front axle forward around 6 inches on the 55 frame. Have disc brakes all around, 4:11 gears, stock 3-speed transfer case, homebuilt 1/2" wall rear driveshaft. Hy steer with 3/8 wall tie rod. Gas tank from a minitruck. Saginaw power steering. Warn 8000 lb winch front, 12000lb rear. Some how this thing just keeps going. I've broken seven birfs, (three longfields) two rear pinions, one at home, one at GSMTR06, (had a spare and replaced on guardrail!) three inner axles, countless hubs including two unusable wheel hubs, and rolled over 4 times. I can't wait to go wheelin

and check out this link
Josh's brother Jeremy Frick built this Franky

http://nfcruiserheads.org/forum/index.php?topic=23.0
frank12.jpg

That thing is bad ass. I've only seen a couple pictures of it, and I though it was a 45.

I rode in Frankie all day on Saturday at the FG. Went through 3 pairs of underwear and chewed of all my fingernails. Sick rig.

Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. Gotta love Franky! And Franky Jr.

Boy you've gotten pretty computer savvy in these past few months. Did Will help you write too or just wake ya up in the middle of the night so you could post?

Awesome Rig! Better in person. I remember that FG you were at. It was like 2002. My first FG. Tons of people were surrounding your rig impressed with it. I remember thinking to myself "this guy is good".

Franky at his best

one of my favorite pics (from August, 07 calender)
img005.jpg

Where's that? Homestead?

Great Smokey Mountain trail ride 2005

So in the mid-Atlantic somewhere? That's nuts....

Kina thats an Excellent rig you got there. We need to wheel more often!

Whens Moab?? :pokewithstick:

Do I hear a Yankee toys trip to Moab?

Awesome rig...

awesome driver...

Its hard as hell following you on the trail. Hope to see you GSMTR08, sent you an e-mail about the little one...Hope all is well.

See you on the rocks...
-Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom