Step Sliders or 2.5" OME lift: (tires are ordered) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You don't have to justify anything to us goons....your truck. You now see the importance of both items and if you can get through till you can afford the sliders then it's the right call....just don't come cryin to us if you bang up your rockers before you get sliders on....:beer::beer::p

So now that the lift is ordered, you might want to reconsider your tires - 315's fit now with the lift......and you see how all of us who had smaller tires "graduated" to 315's -- and if you ask a few people around here the 315's aren't even big enough.

Seriously, you can save yourself some trouble & just go right to 315's now - It's a winning combo & all you have to do is phone in a change of size before your tires arrive.

Really? On a DD running 4.10's? Got pix of a ride with the 315's and 2.5 lift? I REALLY won't regear for a LONG time. I can afford the 315's but I want it to ride nice. $100 for 1" spacers might be ok, but not 2k for gears.

Here's a pic of my wife's LX w/ an OME medium 2.5" lift plus 1.5" coil spacers up front w/ 315 tires. My other 80 is set up the same except I'm running heavy springs up front. Both rigs have stock gears and my wife DD hers.

It'll be fine w/o a front bumper. I added the spacers to compensate for the bumper/winch combo. My wife loves it as a DD. Power loss was barely noticeable and the only time it's noticeable is when going up hills. Shifting out of OD fixes that. Only regret is we should've gone w/ a bigger tire 'cuz the 315's just look "normal" on an 80.:D

1997 lx450

DON'T DO IT!!! I went through soooooooo much money,

33" nittto terra grapplers 295/75/16 looked great with no lift
got my lift and HAD to get,

Mickey Thompson MTZ 315/75/16, had those not even a month and was kikn myself in the arse!!!! Less then a year later went to

DSCF0004.jpg

37's are the new 285's. :p Sliders btw are very cheap to get, I got my kit (im pretty sure) from Marlin Crawler for less then $150. but then you have to mount/weld them yourself, but they come with alot of the hard work done for you rather cheap, and they hold a LX off its right side :doh: and protected my truck, I can also jack the truck up with them. Think I have around $225 into my sliders. :cheers:

I have not regeared, and noticed little difference at all. J's front - Heavies rear - 1" BL and 20mm spacers up front and absolutley no rubbing!

Rock Slider | Marlin Crawler, Inc.

Last edited:
I think you will get mixed opinions on gears when going to 35" tires. I can certainly say my rig is a dog up any incline. But of course that is compared to my other vehicles, so it may be relative to what else you drive and how fast you want to get there. Hell my RV seems as peppy as the landcruiser and only gets about 1-2 MPG less. Like others I regret going the heavy- medium OME lift and 285 tires. I am now looking to go up to 35" tires, gears and assorted driveline pieces (spacers, castor plates, new front shaft etc.)to assure I have a reliable mile crunching and wheeling rig without vibrations, rubbing etc. Especially after dragging the cat protection and rear end on every trail. Of course it depends on what you want. I no longer desire having a rig for looks or having a rig that is built for challenging trails to see how far I can go until breaking stuff or denting panels. "Well except for having my FJ40 back, because nobody cares about a built FZJ80 except another FZJ80 owner. More back to exploring areas and trails that requires a reliable capable rig that can drive there and back in comfort.

As it sits today with OME heavy front, medium rear and 285 mud tires.
Thomas Mtn 2010.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom