Step by step write up for replacing window motor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've always had slow windows during the winter and in the past I've replaced all of the runs as well as grease whatever tracks I could reach.

I've also been through multiple EBay window switches before installing one from a Corolla (which is practically identical to the original)

Currently, all windows go up and down fine except for the driver's, which goes down easily, but needs help (and time to recover) when going up in the cold.

I'd like to replace the motor, but would like to bone up on a write up before making an attempt.

The less scars on my arm and broken glass on the ground, the better ;)

The motor replacement is fairly simple and easy. Window should be up.

1. remove door pull and lock pull bezel
2. remove panel
3. unplug door control unit (lower left corner, inside panel)
4. access motor through cutout in inner door panel, unbolt motor from door reinforcement
5. A helper or dowel (about a foot long) to prop window up is necessary. Once the motor is removed, the window will fall.

Installation of new motor is reverse. Orientation of gear sector is unimportant (it'll work itself out).
Test motor before bolting; plug motor and switch in and test motor.

You do not need to remove the window or lift mechanism to remove/install motor.

HTH

I had a similar problem and ordered the Dorman window regulator on Amazon... at the time I got both front doors regulators for $99
You can purchase just the motor and since the motor bolts to the regulator I did not want to deal with lining up gears gears so I just bought the complete assembly took me about 15 minutes per side very easy in and out.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-741-7...er&keywords=power+window+regulator+with+motor

Although the Dorman is a direct replacement, the motor winding is smaller than OEM.

I had a similar problem and ordered the Dorman window regulator on Amazon... at the time I got both front doors regulators for $99
You can purchase just the motor and since the motor bolts to the regulator I did not want to deal with lining up gears gears so I just bought the complete assembly took me about 15 minutes per side very easy in and out.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-741-795-Toyota-Passenger-Regulator/dp/B0044GSEQI/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1514752558&vehicle=1996-76-1017-20--9-6-8-4712-1844-1-2-1893-89-2-0&sr=1-2&ymm=1996:toyota:land+cruiser&keywords=power+window+regulator+with+motor

Have you had any issues with the Dorman setup since the install?

de Nada

I bought the dorman, and it struggled until.... I put 3M silicone paste on the horizontal track, it now works great. I did have to swap the leads on the new connector to make sure that the switch worked correctly. (pro tip: verify the window switch before you put it back together.) Two months in it is now my fastest motor.

I had same issue and pulled the motor with regulator, then pulled motor and ran it which it was fine, so then clean all old grease and grime from regulator and where the rivit goes thru the center of both pieces I sprayed cleaner and worked it back and forth, then you'll see a ridge line on the regulator where it goes thru the motor I Scott brite that nice and smooth put back together, and window is fast now in cold or heat

OK, so I yanked out the motor a couple hours ago

Regulator wasn't gunked up and moved freely (no binding), but I cleaned and re-greased it anyways.

Plugged in the motor and it ran fine with the regulator outside of the door, but after using the Auto Down, I had to wait a minute or so for it to recover before I could go up again (thermal fuse?)

Put it all back together and still has the same issue :redface:

Just curious, but has anyone here tried replacing or bypassing the thermal fuse/resistor?

My previous aftermarket master window switch would randomly go UP for no reason :eek:

When it came time for me to put the window down, it would then be a crap shoot :bang:

I have since replaced the window switch with an OEM switch from a Corolla and that problem went away, but I think the damage to the motor circuit had already been done :meh:

I'm all for OEM, but when it comes to window motors I'm inclined to swap the whole unit with aftermarket. That makes more sense to me than trying to rebuild a 20 y.o. motor or guessing which other Toyota motor might work in its place. Thanks for the info on replacements, guys. I think I'll be doing this sometime in the next few months.

I'm all for OEM, but when it comes to window motors I'm inclined to swap the whole unit with aftermarket. That makes more sense to me than trying to rebuild a 20 y.o. motor or guessing which other Toyota motor might work in its place. Thanks for the info on replacements, guys. I think I'll be doing this sometime in the next few months.
I got charged $200 for a USED Toyota window motor that works like sh*t, so I am trying the Dormans from Amazon - I can replace five of them for the price of a used factory one! Rant off. ;)

So at Rock Auto, they have an A-1 CARDONE LF window motor listed (PN: 471138)

They also list all of these vehicles using the same window motor:

INFINITI G35 2003-2006
LEXUS LX450 1996-1997
MITSUBISHI MONTERO SPORT 1997-2004
SUZUKI ESTEEM 1995-2002
TOYOTA 4RUNNER 1992-2002
TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 1990-1997
TOYOTA PASEO 1996-1999
TOYOTA RAV4 1996-2000
TOYOTA T100 1993-1998
TOYOTA TERCEL 1995-1999

If this truly is the case, then sourcing a motor from an 02 4-Runner or even an 06 G35 (just cause it's newer) from a junk yard would be plausible :hmm:

Can anyone here confirm compatibility with these vehicles?

So I took a chance on EBay and picked up a new Denso/Toyota window motor that claimed to fit my Land Cruiser.

The part number is different and it cross references many other Toyota vehicles, but apart from some minor cosmetic differences, it basically bolted right in place.

I did have to swap connectors, but it is now my fastest window :smokin:

So I took a chance on EBay and picked up a new Denso/Toyota window motor that claimed to fit my Land Cruiser.

The part number is different and it cross references many other Toyota vehicles, but apart from some minor cosmetic differences, it basically bolted right in place.

I did have to swap connectors, but it is now my fastest window :smokin:

Part #?

85720-60011 (as shown int he photos)

It was $39.99 and the EBay ad claims that it is a "NEW DENSO" unit :hmm:

It surely looks new, but after checking the part number, genuine Toyota/Denso motors that share the same number are WAY more expensive, so it wouldn't surprise me if this was actually a knock off with a fake stamp, but it's nice to know there are many other options out there that will actually fit :smokin:

i too replaced a window motor.went to the boneyard and they gave me a denso unit which they claim is from a toyota.the motor housing was smaller but the body fits perfectly on the window regulator.the original lc motor was longer by half an inch.though i replaced it with a smaller motor,it is now my fastest window.i think new technology motors are torquier than the old ones though smaller in size.i also changed the electrical connectors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom