Steering wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wheel isn't centered when going straight. The truck doesn't pull left or right and the tires aren't wearing unevenly. Anyone know what the problem might be? I thought about pulling the wheel and shifting it over a couple of teeth unless that's a bad idea . . .

easily adjusted by twisting a bar under the front end...

look for a bent relay rod. Mine was like this coming back from GSMTR, other than the steering wheel not being straight, handling was exactly the same

Twisting What Bar??

e9999 said:
easily adjusted by twisting a bar under the front end...
I have the same problem - had an alignment done on my LX a few months ago. and after that the steering wheel is out 10 degrees to the left. Dealer said I could bring it back in the future and they could unseize a link to correct (at Big Bucks I'm sure!!) So how could I fix this myself?? - instructions please!! - Thanx - Tim

well, didn't do that myself (yet) but I imagine there should be a relay (?) rod linking your steering Pitman arm (that's the "lever" kinda arm that is attached to the steering box and turns the wheels via the rod) to one of the wheels. That surely can be made shorter or longer to adjust the wheel position. Probably a matter of unscrewing a couple of clamps or nuts.

there is also a tie (?) rod between the 2 wheels. You dont' want to touch that one cuz it'll change the toe-in.

these rods are long (3-5'?) round bars about 1" in diam that run transversally under the engine.

oh, and Jenny, I see you got a 93, but if you're not familiar with airbags vehicles yet, keep in mind you don't want to futz around with the steering wheel on one of those without being very very careful, checking in FSM etc... just in case....

If you look up above the brake peddle you will see where the steering rod goes through the firewall. There are a couple of bolts that can be removed and the two pieces can be pulled apart. It only takes about 10 minutes to take apart turn one notch in the desired direction, then bolt up again. be sure to mark it with something white on both piece first. You will be turning it all over while taking it apart so you will need the reference marks.
I noticed that the seal on mine had disintegrated. While down there open you hood and look to see if any day light is visible around the steering rod. Seal is not expensive and only two more bolts away. Much safer than messing the an airbagged steering wheel.

e9999 said:
oh, and Jenny, I see you got a 93, but if you're not familiar with airbags vehicles yet, keep in mind you don't want to futz around with the steering wheel on one of those without being very very careful, checking in FSM etc... just in case....

No air bags here. He,he,he. :cool: I think I'm going to put my old Nardi wheel on it as soon as I get a base to fit the LC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom