Steering- what's going on here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up a new to me steering wheel. Was told it came off a 72 as is my 40.
I pulled the grant wheel that has been in since I purchased the truck (9yrs ago)
The Toyota wheel hub it's the "switch" for the horn. And doesn't seat on the tapered shaft all the way or even part way. I loosened up the cooler but it doesn't seem to want to slide down the column at all. Didn't want to force it.

KIMG1471.JPG

Sorry it won't let me post more than one pic at a time. Or I can figure it out if it does.. here's the back of the Toyota wheel hub
KIMG1476.JPG

The horn switch is not original, and it’s mounted in the hole that the column shift use to mount to in the turn signal bracket. It will interfere with the Toyota wheel. I’m going to assume that a grant wheel isn’t as deep as the Toyota wheel so the turn signal bracket may be set on the steering column higher up, again causing interference with the deeper Toyota wheel. It can be set further down the column if that’s the case, but the turn signal control unit under the dash will have to loosened and moved down the shaft as well. All a guess though. And the last pic is an unknown to me, is that really the back of the grant wheel?

The horn switch is not original, and it’s mounted in the hole that the column shift use to mount to in the turn signal bracket. It will interfere with the Toyota wheel. I’m going to assume that a grant wheel isn’t as deep as the Toyota wheel so the turn signal bracket may be set on the steering column higher up, again causing interference with the deeper Toyota wheel. It can be set further down the column if that’s the case, but the turn signal control unit under the dash will have to loosened and moved down the shaft as well. All a guess though. And the last pic is an unknown to me, is that really the back of the grant wheel?
Thank you, Yes that was inside the grant wheel. Had 3 screw holding the wheel to the bracket and the 7/8" nut holding the bracket on the shaft. I'll look under the dash after dinner,

both wheels were 33 spline count, both came off a 72, after moving the turn signal lever down the shaft everything worked well, as close as power steering as i'm getting.
going back to the post #6 regarding the horn wire coming thru the column shift , was that standard or did my 40 get switched to floor shift along the way?

Through the column independent of where your shift is.

Horn contact wire is internal, soldered to the chrome ring that crowns the rubber bushing on the end of the column tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom