Steering shaft u-joints cheap (1 Viewer)

I ordered these today, I've been looking for joints to make my steering shaft cheap to do a saginaw steering conversion and I found these in the surplus center catalog.

their website is www.surpluscenter.com
the parts are
1-2737
1-2738
1-2739
the top two make a complete shaft with out telescoping, but with the bottom number you can get a joint with a telescoping section. there are some adapters
also. 1-2740 or 1-2741
each joint section was 5 dollars, and they are for automotive steering applications. it may take some adapting, but for 20 dollars I'm sure I can make an excellent shaft.
just thought some of you might be interested, I'll see how they look when they come in.

Rice

SILVER Star

treerootCO said:
Just make sure they are safe. Steering is somthing you shouldn't skimp on ;)

What he said. For use on a lawn mower or go-cart I might consider a $5 u-joint. On a cruiser???

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member

What they said.

I had a cheap U joint fail*. Unless you are addicted to adrenilin not something you want to experience. I think my whole Flaming River set-up was around $100 from Summit.

*Installed by somebody before me.

They are listed for automotive use, but I agree, steering needs to be safe. when they come in I'll check and see what size the joints are and look them up in the catalog.

I got the joints in, they are oem quality u-joints for steering, they are not as beefy as the borgeson type joints, as they are stamped steel yokes. They are plenty good enough for me, I'll post a picture when someone brings back a camera. I bought all three, and the adapters to make sure I had enough parts to make the setup, but you could get by with less, if you used a factory sliding setup, the two joint only sections have really nice rubber boots to go over them.

this is one without the boot
joint.JPG

Last edited:

Good find on the "inexpensive" parts. I would like to hear about how they hold up when you get to crankin on the wheel in a tight spot. Just curious about the strength of the stamped yokes. Be careful, I'd put it to the test before driving on it much.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor

I've been shopping for a steering shaft and joints to do my saginaw conversion but those just look plain scarry. Might work for a DD but That would just plain suck if that broke on the trail. Keep us updated on how they hold up. I'm always up for a deal. Might make a good spare though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom