Steering shaft u-joints cheap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered these today, I've been looking for joints to make my steering shaft cheap to do a saginaw steering conversion and I found these in the surplus center catalog.

their website is www.surpluscenter.com
the parts are
1-2737
1-2738
1-2739
the top two make a complete shaft with out telescoping, but with the bottom number you can get a joint with a telescoping section. there are some adapters
also. 1-2740 or 1-2741
each joint section was 5 dollars, and they are for automotive steering applications. it may take some adapting, but for 20 dollars I'm sure I can make an excellent shaft.
just thought some of you might be interested, I'll see how they look when they come in.

treerootCO said:
Just make sure they are safe. Steering is somthing you shouldn't skimp on ;)

What he said. For use on a lawn mower or go-cart I might consider a $5 u-joint. On a cruiser???

What they said.

I had a cheap U joint fail*. Unless you are addicted to adrenilin not something you want to experience. I think my whole Flaming River set-up was around $100 from Summit.

*Installed by somebody before me.

They are listed for automotive use, but I agree, steering needs to be safe. when they come in I'll check and see what size the joints are and look them up in the catalog.

I got the joints in, they are oem quality u-joints for steering, they are not as beefy as the borgeson type joints, as they are stamped steel yokes. They are plenty good enough for me, I'll post a picture when someone brings back a camera. I bought all three, and the adapters to make sure I had enough parts to make the setup, but you could get by with less, if you used a factory sliding setup, the two joint only sections have really nice rubber boots to go over them.

this is one without the boot
joint.JPG

Last edited:
I've been shopping for a steering shaft and joints to do my saginaw conversion but those just look plain scarry. Might work for a DD but That would just plain suck if that broke on the trail. Keep us updated on how they hold up. I'm always up for a deal. Might make a good spare though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom