Steering rack - what else to fix "while you're in there"? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, at just over 180k my steering rack is starting to leak pretty heavily. I'm going to do the lift-engine method and replace it.

Anything else I should consider checking/replacing "while I'm in there"?

Plan:
New OEM steering rack
OEM steering rack bushing
555 Outer tie rods

I actually replaced my axles and brake rotors too. I assume you are replacing the boots.

With that much apart and out of the way, give a good look to all your ball joints, sway bar links & bushings, wheel bearings, brakes, etc.

I just did my rack about 2 months ago; mine was leaking big time from the input and on the passenger side. I changed out the rubber hoses that lead to the reservoir, and also used whiteline bushings, and 555 outer rod ends. I also replaced CVs, and lower balljoints.. In hindsight.. If the diff bushings need to be replaced, or you need to reboot/replace CVs, it might make the job slightly easier to remove the diff to get to the rack.

You don't really need to dive into the hub and wheel bearings area, or balljoints to do this job. Just remove the knuckle arm that the outer rod ends attached to.

Overall, the job isn't terribly difficult.. it is definitely messy. What a difference in steering feel from new rack/bushings!

Tie rod ends if your new rack did not come with them.

Are steering gear mount bushings still obtainable? I struck out with the only two places I could find. One was SuperPro, and the other were WhiteLine. WhiteLine was stated to be discontinued. SuperPro said backorder, 8weeks. If I have to wait for SuperPro, I'm willing. I just didn't expect it to be this difficult to find. Can anyone point me in a direction to where I can find them? Thanks

Are steering gear mount bushings still obtainable? I struck out with the only two places I could find. One was SuperPro, and the other were WhiteLine. WhiteLine was stated to be discontinued. SuperPro said backorder, 8weeks. If I have to wait for SuperPro, I'm willing. I just didn't expect it to be this difficult to find. Can anyone point me in a direction to where I can find them? Thanks
Whiteline W13210: https://www.amazon.com/Whiteline-W13210/dp/B00BED6AB0 See below

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response. However, mine is a 2005. The bushings linked above are for the earlier racks.

I finally made my way to WhiteLine's website, and they don't list bushings for a 2005. Just the earlier model rack bushings.

Thanks for the quick response. However, mine is a 2005. The bushings linked above are for the earlier racks.

I finally made my way to WhiteLine's website, and they don't list bushings for a 2005. Just the earlier model rack bushings.

Yea, there's some contradictory info on their website.

According to the product page: Whiteline W13210:

First:
"Notes: Important
Suits models to - 9/2002"

Then:
"W13210 is suitable for the following vehicles. Select a vehicle for specific fitment details:
LEXUS LX470 UZJ100
transp1.gif
(3/1998-3/2008)
TOYOTA LANDCRUISER FZJ100, HDJ100, UZJ100 IFS
transp1.gif
(3/1998-10/2007)
" Website is incorrect

Anyone else know for sure?

Last edited:
I left a message with WhiteLine. Will see what they say and report back. Thanks again for your input.

Reading all the older posts about replacement bushings, I thought this would be a slam dunk.

Placed order with SuperPro, as they showed them in stock. I immediately got a response that they were on backorder. They issued refund.

I found WhiteLine offered at a AndysAuto something, showed in stock, I ordered. Immediately get response that these are discontinued, and they issued refund. This AndysAuto did tell me that they would be removing them from their website.

I can wait 6-8 weeks for SuperPro if I really have to, but I don't have the warm-and-fuzzies that they will deliver. I fear that I will agree to wait, then when the time comes, they will be discontinued or I'll get some other reason.

[
I left a message with WhiteLine. Will see what they say and report back. Thanks again for your input.

Reading all the older posts about replacement bushings, I thought this would be a slam dunk.

Placed order with SuperPro, as they showed them in stock. I immediately got a response that they were on backorder. They issued refund.

I found WhiteLine offered at a AndysAuto something, showed in stock, I ordered. Immediately get response that these are discontinued, and they issued refund. This AndysAuto did tell me that they would be removing them from their website.

I can wait 6-8 weeks for SuperPro if I really have to, but I don't have the warm-and-fuzzies that they will deliver. I fear that I will agree to wait, then when the time comes, they will be discontinued or I'll get some other reason.
I'm pretty sure the large bushing is the same for all years, it's the two smaller bushings that may be year-dependent. But if you're getting a new rack it comes with new OEM small bushings pre-installed. When I did my rack I left the new small OEM bushings in place and just used the large Whiteline out of their kit. This is on my '98 BTW.

Apologies for hi-jacking.

While I am looking to replace steering rack bushings, I'll be doing the following as well...

* UCA's (Cruiseroutfitters)
* Lower ball joints (Cruiseroutfitters)
* Wheel bearings (Cruiseroutfitters)
* Diff drop (Cruiseroutfitters)

I did come across a couple on eBay, but concerned about what product I could receive. LOL

I do have 264k on the clock. Maybe it's time for a rack replacement. Could be detrimental to my spirit if I change bushings only to realize the rack itself is going south.

Last year when I replaced my rack I replaced the following:

Rotors, pads, and wheel bearings, tie rod ends, all ball joints, lower control arm bushings(I had 1 year old SPC arms so I didn't replace upper bushings) and radiator. She drove like a dream after that, even on 35s:)

It was only about a 2 day operation in my driveway.

... now i have to research 555 outer tie rod ends and whiteline/superpro bushings to translate this thread. :hmm:
my '99 needs new rack, it's pouring PS fluid driver's side.
K&H Imports in Canoga Park lets you order online wholesale + ship parts direct to them which saves major $$... they charge only labor. super top shelf LC enthusiasts there! K & H Imports Auto Repair - Canoga Park - Canoga Park, CA
i want the truck tight again, so it looks like we need to address:
rack - only remanufactured steering racks are now avail for 100 series. i am going to recycle my rack for a reman, so you're welcome whoever gets my parts :cheers:
upper & lower control arm bushings
inner & outer tie rod ends
all ball joints
CVs?

also:
wheel bearings
rotors perhaps
not sure what diff drop is, have to research.

also replacing pulley & drive belt.

you all inspired this list, thanks for sharing your to-do lists and getting me psyched!
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

These are for model year 98-02 only, for sure.

Saw these 03-07 bushings on eBay. I have no experience with the manufacturer, Ricochet Polyurethane Technologies.

Fits Lexus LX470 Land Cruiser Steering Rack Bushing Set Polyurethane 2003-2007 | eBay
Does this kit benefit a '99 stock set-up, with factory wheel/tires? Getting a reman. rack installed next week. Want to give my rig the best ride on and off road... Steering - rack and pinion mount bushing - W13210

Prefer to avoid "too stiff" or have crossed bushing tension/response,
Obviously I don't know much about this aspect of our trucks, any feedback super appreciated and I will research through the threads now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom