Steering Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been trying to get the steering of my '60 as tight as possible, given what it is. Several years ago, we had a rebuilt steering box installed and the results were okay. I was having clunking associated with turning in the front. Just got the truck back with new tie rod ends, which it clearly needed. I expected that, if anything my steering would be a little tighter. The clunking is better, but not gone, and the steering in general is worse. You can drive down the road and move the wheel about an eighth of a turn or more without any impact on the wheels. I feel like I'm piloting a boat down the road. I've had my '60 for 15 years so I think I have a good feel for it's idiosyncrasies so I'm certain this is not just my unrealistic expectations in a vehicle that I don't know well. I don't feel particularly safe or confident on road or off. My main question is could my mechanic have torqued my steering box when they did the tie rod ends and made this worse? There were a number of vertical notches in the paint on the tie rod from when they did the installation. They did do an alignment, although I don't see how this could be from malalignment.

It's been a struggle finding competent mechanics that I can trust in this town.

Thanks for anyone's thoughts.

You might try experimenting with the gearbox first and see if that helps. It's easy to do yourself. Go about 1/2 turn at a time and road test it until it feels right.

IMG_9489.JPG

You might try experimenting with the gearbox first and see if that helps. It's easy to do yourself. Go about 1/2 turn at a time and road test it until it feels right.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

I had similar problems, especially the clicking. Upgraded my suspension and tie rods, still clicked. Lubed up the leaves and also played with the screw on the steering box. Steering mildly improved, but still clicked. There's instructions on the 80's forum that goes step by step on how to adjust the steering set screw (gotta go find it). This improved my steering slop DRAMATICALLY! but still some clicking.

Finally after much research, someone suggested greasing up the collapsible slip steering shaft right before the box. When I took it apart it was dry. Applied a small amount of grease and the clicking disappeared.

Hope this helps,

Good Luck

T

I had similar problems, especially the clicking. Upgraded my suspension and tie rods, still clicked. Lubed up the leaves and also played with the screw on the steering box. Steering mildly improved, but still clicked. There's instructions on the 80's forum that goes step by step on how to adjust the steering set screw (gotta go find it). This improved my steering slop DRAMATICALLY! but still some clicking.

Finally after much research, someone suggested greasing up the collapsible slip steering shaft right before the box. When I took it apart it was dry. Applied a small amount of grease and the clicking disappeared.

Hope this helps,

Good Luck

T

Thanks. As I'm looking to try to access the gear box, I also note that my tie rod is crooked. That probably is not good. I could see that putting undo amounts of stress on the tie rod ends (is that why they went bad?). Still trying to figure out how to get to the gear box.

Your gearbox is just behind your front driver side tire...

IMG_9186.JPG

You don't really need to get at itfrom the tire to adjust it, but if you're going to pull the gearbox, then jack up the front end and remove the tire.

Another thing to check are your drag link ends- adjusting them to factory spec leaves them a bit loose in many people's opinions... they can be significantly tightened.

Drag link adjustment...?

View attachment 1450276

After adjusting the gearbox check to see if your steering U-Joints are tight. Bad U-Joints can effect steering tightness and add a clunk sounds when turning the wheel.

Adjusting that preload screw on the top of the steering box "Until it feels right" is a great way to soon learn how much a rebuilt box costs. There needs to be more understanding of what's going on and what to expect before screwing with the preload.

I second the idea of inspecting the preload on the drag links, then greasing them (you only mention new tie-rod ends, and even if new, it's commonly overlooked so check anyway). Read the FSM (note that there is a manual gear box section and a power gearbox section, pay attention to which box you're reading the specs on) search 'Mud, and most importantly, are you already in touch with any Copper State Cruiser club members? If not, then mosey on over to the Clubhouse section and perhaps find a new local 'Mudder. I for sure know there are several guys in your general area.

Wow! Thanks. My steering box is relatively new so I don't want to break it. I did adjust the screw a bit and it appears to have helped somewhat. I wont go any further until I research and address all the other issues that were suggested.

you need to find out where the problem lies.
I would look at the steering assembly with someone turning the wheel back and forth slowly and you'll be able to see where the issues are located.
the clunk could be a no grease issue in the slip joint of the steering shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom