Starter problems - solved (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I would share this as well, hopefully it helps. Pretty easy fix that anyone can do.

For a few weeks I had the odd intermittent issue of the starter not turning. There would be a loud audible click from the solenoid activating the gear pushing out, but no crank. A simple fix always seemed to be getting under and giving the starter a couple wacks with a hammer. A couple times this didn’t work and a push start was necessary, but then later the starter would work just fine.
Lots of posts suggested the grounding is weak, but I had recently redone all my grounds and battery connections.
I pulled the starter, bench testing it and again the gear solenoid activates but no spin.
disassembling the motor seemed intimidating but it’s actually pretty easy, all brushes had lots of life but the armature (spinning copper piece the brushes sit against) was covered in black residue (I’m guessing carbon). Removed the bushes from the housing and used a wire brush to scrape the contact surfaces clean and new. Next used sand paper 400 grit and sanded down the armature. Also used a sharp pick to scrape down the mica insulator cracks between the armature sections. Re sanded to ensure a smooth surface that wouldn’t wear down the brushes.
Starter works flawlessly now and with more power.
I also took the opportunity to take apart the gearing section and clean it and apply new grease. Also a pretty easy step.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom