Steering gear box and P/S pump swap among other things (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I've been having issues with my steering for a while and finally have the time to tear my 60 apart and swap out the steering gear box and pump. I got a couple of good replacements from Georg a while back. Since I'm taking this stuff apart, is there anything else you guys think I should address/replace while I'm in there?

In addition to that, because of the amount of play in the steering, I have not driven her much in the last few months. Last night I drove her about 40 miles at approximately 65-70 mph. She drove great, nice and smooth with no issues at all. Water temp and oil pressure were all normal. As I was slowing down to turn on my street, the engine died. I turned it back on, but it would not idle. On the second attempt, I got it to stay on with the choke engaged. The water temperature went all the way up and the engine felt as if it didn't have any power (I don't know how else to describe it). I pulled to the side of the street and opened the engine compartment to see if it had leaked any coolant. I looked at the radiator over flow, but it was empty. I slightly opened the radiator cap, which had pressure, but nothing major. What do you guys think? Any ideas what it could be? My P/S pump was leaking pretty bad for a while. Could that leak have affected any other components?

Were you able to restart it and drive it back?

For the shuting off and having to pull choke to run, i would look at the idle control selnoid.

Lack of power, maybe the egr valve stuck.

Temp Guage spiking, It's normal when you shut the motor off, then turn it back on, the guage will read at the top, all that heat has no place to go. So when you start it back up, the guage should drop to normal within a very short time.

Also possible it's the normal spiking temp quage and fuel guage combo issue.

Ok, so I swapped out the steering box and steering pump yesterday. Filled it with Castrol ATF and started her up to warm up. There's no play or leaks and everything seems to be fine. However, the steering is pretty stiff. Doesn't feel like it has power steering at all. What did I do wrong?

Air is still probably trapped in the power steering.

The manual gives info how to bleed it

Over time, if you keep the ATF at the proper level, the system should eventually purge itself. Don't let the pump suck any air by having the level get too low.

If you haven't changed the tie/relay rod ends in the last 100k or don't know how old they are, you might consider adding them to your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom