Steering Box Major Leak---Solutions?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by TOY350, Jul 3, 2005.

1. TOY350

TOY350 #1 Super Guy SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    My steering box dumped out just about all the fluid I had in the system when I was running hot the other day. I am looking at replacing it but the expense looks to be really high for a rebuilt one $500 +. I am running a GM pump, Hysteer, Spring Over and 35's.

I don't want to try and rebuild it myself, I want it to work! I am also considering a hydraulic setup.

Can you guys help me with some options and estimates on costs?

2. hj60

hj60

Izzit still the OEM box?
    A rebuild ain't that tough.
    Where'd it leak from? Could just be a single seal, like the wife's 80.
    If it's a GM box, remans are cheap.

3. TOY350

Media:
    Albums:
    It's an OEM box and the whole box was wet, my best guess it was leaking from the top somehow. It had been leaking off and on for awhile, I used some Lucas stop leak and it cured for a time. I noticed considerable play in the wheel a few weeks ago just all of a sudden, so I tightened up the box with the adjusting nut up top. I cranked it a little over a full turn and made sure I didn't feel in binding while turning both ways. It felt good and left just a little play in the wheel.

I don't know if it leaked because the engine bay got so hot and the fluid was more viscous or if I damaged the box by tightening it up. This is the second time I had tightened up the steering in the last 2 years.

I have the good Toyota manual that shows the rebuilding steps but the little cartoon showing a frustrated mechanic when feeding in the ball bearings in has got me a little worried about doing it myself.

4. dd113

dd113

Send it to West Texas Off Road. Around $150 to rebuild + shipping. Good guys

5. TOY350

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks David. I was going to call you Tuesday and get your input, but I will call West Texas Off Road and see if I can get this done.

6. 2mbb

2mbb SILVER Star

Mine was leaking out the top after I had rebuilt it. It turned out that the adjusting nut on the top was loose. I think the jam nut has an o-ring seal. I tightened it up and it's been fine every since.

7. Kief

Kief

What ever you do don't try to put on a used PS box from an '83 on there. Wrong bolt pattern.

Do the rebuild yourself so I can look you up when mine goes. ;)

Sorry I couldn't have helped.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.