Starting on my first FJ60…What leakage would cause this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up my first FJ60 a few weeks ago. I am an inexperienced mechanic by all accounts so am using this as a steep learning curve to build some basic knowledge. I have read much of the FAQ and plan to utilize that for some basic gasket replacement and fluid changes.

In the initial process of changing the transmission fluid, I removed the skid plate over the transfer case to get a better view and had to clean a large amount of buildup from the inside face of the cover. The transfer case and transmission along with the bottom of the body also have staining and buildup of “oil”. My question is, where should I start looking to address this leak? My thoughts were the rear main seal, the transfer case oil seal or the oil pan gasket, but there is so much it’s hard to tell where it comes from.

71831348388__F857EA61-C625-4695-93B8-FA02FBDD350F.jpeg

IMG_6497.jpeg

Well, firstly, welcome.

Second, chances are good all the things you mention are probably leaking. :D

Around here, that oil film is known as 'Rust Prevention'.

If you want to track it down, have to clean/steam clean the undercarriage and engine bay and look for where it's coming from. RMS is common on these high-mileage trucks.

Won't find anything without first getting under there with degreaser spray and then the most powerful pressure washer
you can find. Let it dry.
Do Not Pressure wash your alternator or distributor. Put a bag over them.
Unless it's clean and dry you won't find anything. Getting it all clean is the best first place to start so you can see what
you are doing and what's happening.
Find the best penetrating oil spray you can find and hit every exposed thread and nut/bolt combo there is. Let that sit
before you starting twisting and wrenching.

Well, firstly, welcome.

Second, chances are good all the things you mention are probably leaking. :D

Around here, that oil film is known as 'Rust Prevention'.

If you want to track it down, have to clean/steam clean the undercarriage and engine bay and look for where it's coming from. RMS is common on these high-mileage trucks.
I think I may just start at the top with the valve cover gasket and just work my way down one gasket at a time. It will give me an excuse to dig in and learn a few things if nothing else.

Many many years ago, Marv Spector of SOR told me there's no better truck to learn wrenching and basic automotive electronics. He also said, if you can't work on a 2F, you should cut your tools in half and throw them away. :D:p

Do yourself a favor and buy a 'Silver Star' Subscription - only $20/year and it allows you to post unlimited pictures (very helpful for getting help quickly and accurately) and removes all the pop-up. Getting one fix on here will pay for it 10x over.

Good luck. I love the Orange trucks! Buff that baby!

Also the rear driveshaft slip yoke will fling grease 180° if it’s kept greased up

I wouldn’t lose sleep over oil leaks - maybe trans and t-case oil leaks are more serious.

I’m done tracking down oil leaks, they never end.

These things like to leak.

You can see the body here at the back of the transfer case. I assume this is from the seal at the drive shaft. I did have some help pumping new fluid into the transfer case though.
IMG_6572.jpeg

IMG_6573.jpeg

I think I may have found one leak. Noticed this new oil in the transfer case while I was dropping my oil pan.
IMG_6632.jpeg

IMG_6631.jpeg

On another note, it only took a few taps with a dead blow hammer on side of the pan to knock it loose. Was relieved I didn’t need the Jack and a 2x4. Hope to clean all surfaces and get that gasket installed tomorrow to fix that leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom