starter problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm really stuck on this one! Any help is much appreciated!!! Alright, story time:

I was on the freeway and she stalled... started up fine about 5 minutes later. Drove another ten minutes, stopped, and tried to start again. Wouldn't start, but was able to get going with a push and drove home fine. Now she won't start at all (could probably push start though). Here's what has changed since it crapped out on the freeway:

1: when shifting gears on the way home, there was a howling noise coming from the transmission and clutch area. however, it is not difficult to shift.

2: starter doesn't seem to have much power. It might get one crank, and then it gets stuck. If I try to start with the headlights on, the headlights get *really* dim.

Since I got it home, I cleaned up all electrical connections to the distributor, added some oil (it was about a quart low), topped off tranny fluid, changed the fuel filter, and adjusted the pushrod for the clutch to get rid of the "dead pedal" I have had since replacing the clutch about 200 miles ago.

The starter is less than 2 years old, and the connections look pretty good. I plan on pulling it and cleaning it up tonight just in case. It seems to be the only thing that isn't doing its job (?), but it was working perfectly earlier in the evening.

Got any ideas what might be causing this to happen?

Mike

battery is good, I forgot to mention that in my first post.

pop that starter off and take it to a shop.....we got a place down here that rebuilds all kinds of starters and typically you walk in with what you got and they send you right out with the same thing only rebuilt and they keep yours to rebuild. doesn't cost more than about 100 bucks here but check around your local area for a place like this. yeah and try tapping the starter w a wrench while turning the ignition if it helps it's definitly the starter. you can also replace that soloniod on the top and that might be a cheaper route before you go buy a rebuilt one.

Have you checked the earth cables?

Also, put on a meter between the battery + and starter +, crank and check what volts reading you get. Anything over 1/2 volt is bad connections somewhere.
Repeat across solenoid - over 1/2 volt is bad solenoid.
Repeat batt - to body of starter - over 1/2 volts is bad connection on earth.

Note bad connection could be faulty cable that needs replace

HTH

thanks for all the input guys...

I'm just getting off of work, so I'll tear into it tonight and let you know what I find.

HTH -

Not to steal someone's thread - but I tried your test, and got the following:

Batt + -> Starter + .5 V
Batt - -> Starter Body +1.3 V

I have been having "weak" starter performance (especially with the engine warm) - I guess I better go through the cables and connections. Thanks

Rocky

Update:

Removed starter, cleaned it up a little bit. Took the ground wire completely off the vehicle and inspected it, then cleaned up the contact points. Reinstalled everything and turned the key... no help. There is a very loud click, but nothing else. Wire to solenoid had a good voltage reading. Looks like my starter crapped itself. I thought these things were supposed to last longer than 2 years! Oh well... I'll throw a new one in and let you guys know what happens.

Mike

OK, had some free time on the weekend to look at it.

Replaced with a brand new starter hooked back up..... still didn't work!
Replaced ground wire and hot wire to solenoid..... nothing!

All of this stems from when I stalled on the freeway about a week ago. I have no idea why it would cut out like that. Could this possibly be the battery? It is an optima red top that I got about a year ago. When I turn the key, I can hear the "buzz" from my electric fuel pump nearly stop, so maybe the battery is a little dead. Any input?

Mike

Is it possible that the starter gear got stuck on the flywheel. (would cause a howling noise) Burning up the starter.And since the starter is now possibly charging your system while burning its bearings out, overheating and such that it fried your regulator or alt or battery.

Now that I think about it that's not possible unless your solinoid was engaged.

Take your battery to be tested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom