Starter Motor takes several seconds until Engine Starts ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cranking my 2002 LX470 takes several seconds - maybe something like 4 seconds.
Is this typical or symptomatic of some issue like fuel pump pressure, etc. ???
The cranking time is longer than either of my Camry, Isuzu, or Mercedes - those
seem to almost instantly fire up.

Four seconds does seem excessive. But I can say that my 2000 LX starts up slower than all the rest of my Toyota products. Bad enough that about half the time the wife drives it she has to try to start twice since she lets go of the key too soon, expecting it to catch and it doesn't.

Sorry I don't have a clue as to why - the FSM doesn't have a section for slow starting (I looked).

I've got the same issue.
Starter or Distributor Rotor are my first two assumptions for the issue.

Mine did that for a minute before shooting out a code.... ended up being cam sensor... then crank sensor went out and finally threw a code

Mine did that for a minute before shooting out a code.... ended up being cam sensor... then crank sensor went out and finally threw a code

My LX470 runs just fine once its started.
I was thinking it was more like a Fuel Pressure issue.

Oddly enough so did mine. Once it finally got going it was like there was no problem. The only time i had issues was at startup.

Oddly enough so did mine. Once it finally got going it was like there was no problem. The only time i had issues was at startup.

Where are the Crankshaft and Camshaft sensors on these engines?

does it happen hot or cold? you might be losing pressure. My 2F fires right up on the first crank and it's a Carb.

If it's cranking, it's not starter contacts. Starter contacts manifest themselves in either occasional won't even crank and then will or you get a click of the starter solenoid, but no cranking.

Where are the Crankshaft and Camshaft sensors on these engines?
Cam shaft is under the plastic housing of the timing belts, the crankshaft sensor is down low drivers side by crank pulley. Not really saying that's what it is but something to keep in your mind.

More precise information ... cranked her this morning.
Took "One Mississippi, Two Mississippi" and then it started.
I was wrong about it taking 4 seconds.
Still the time to startup seems longer than my other vehicles.

I'm having similar issues. It seems to be getting worse. I typically let off the key after a second or two, then give it another shot. It always fires on the second try. It's either lacking proper spark, or fuel. I'm guessing it's fuel, because spark should manifest itself while running, right?

I'm having similar issues. It seems to be getting worse. I typically let off the key after a second or two, then give it another shot. It always fires on the second try. It's either lacking proper spark, or fuel. I'm guessing it's fuel, because spark should manifest itself while running, right?

I wonder if we just turn the ignition on to let the Fuel Pump build up pressure, wait a few seconds,
and the turn to the crank position?

I'm not familiar enough with these 100's to know all the issues, but I do work on 1980's vintage
Mercedes and those cars have a Fuel Accumulator to keep up the Fuel Pressure. Also, Isuzu
Troopers have a Fuel Pressure Regulator. Just not up to speed on 100's. AND, all models of vehicles do have peculiarities and quirks.

Good idea, I'll try that.

Here lately cranking time has dropped considerable to more what I would expect.
Wonder if it has something to do with the quality of the gasoline?

I cleaned the battery terminals and changed the fuel filter. It's been starting easier ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom