Starter Issue... I think??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

Looking for some more help. I went out to jump in my 74 this morning to go to work and the damn thing won't start?? I hear the starter winding up however the engine doesn't turn. So I think I either have a starter that the plunger (Not sure what the technical term is??) will not engage, or I have teeth missing on my flywheel. Am I on the right track here?? I tried giving the starter a few whacks with a hammer but that didn't help. If I had teeth missing from my Flywheel wouldn't I have noticed that happen??? I didn't have much time to look at it this morning before work, so I wanted to get some advise before I start taking this apart. I am hoping there is a quick fix someone may have out there .

JUst to add some more info, I had the same problem yesterday however I was able ot get it started by letting it roll down my driveway and poppinmg the clucth. The engine then finally turned.

One last thing, is the starter in a BJ-74 that same as a starter in other toyota 24 volt systems?

Thanks,
Todd

Todd, is it just the whirring sound of the starter with no chattering or rattling at all?

If so, I would say you made a good guess that the throw out gear is stuck. This happened on my Harley a year or so ago and I was able to disassemble and install a new throw out mechanism while retaining the starter motor. Perhaps others here can comment on rebuild versus replace?

That's right Moose. I just hear the whiring of the starter with no chatter at all. The longer I hold the ignition on the faster the starter will spin.

Anyone know if getting my truck extremely wet this weekend may cause this?? I have gotten other trucks wet and never had this issue?

Thanks,
Todd

i would pull that bad boy out and rip it apart. You may just have to dry it and grease it up a bit. I'd imagine a 24v starter would cost a fortune. Pus it sounds like it works fine just no through out. PS you could never lose the teeth on the flywheel before the teeth on the starter its made that way for a reason. Sacraficial design

Skinny...the starter is an electrical device and it can go at any time. I don't think that dunking your truck had much to do with it.

The starter is easy enough to access and remove. Pull it off and supply power to the appropriate terminals and you'll probably find your suspicions confirmed. Good luck.

skinny said:
One last thing, is the starter in a BJ-74 that same as a starter in other toyota 24 volt systems?Todd

Motor is the same. Any good rebuild shop in your area should be able to get you going. The housing (Switch Assy, Magnetic Starter) is clocked for the 13BT so it requires a post 1985/10 unit. Pull the starter, take it to a rebuild shop and see what they quote.

Phone your local Toyota dealer and see what they quote for a 1986/87 BJ70 starter, as the housing is clocked correctly, and use that as your datum. If the rebuilder is too high, just order the complete 1986/87 BJ70 stater from Toy and use it...

hth's

gb

Thanks guys of the advice

I still have not pulled it out yet. I tried to last night while I had a bit of down time brewing, however that top bolt is a real PITA to get at. When I changed the starter on my BJ-60 I don't remember it being this much of a PITA. OH well, I will get it off tonight an see what is going on.

Just tried to call toyota for a price and they can''t look up a part without a VIN number??? Am I missing something here??? I tried to explain that my truck is from Japan and chances are the VIN is not going to help. What can you do. :mad:

Ask them for a price on a 1987 BJ70...that's all they need to access their system. If they balk use PN 28100-56181. Price will be crazy...

Find an starter/alt shop close to you that does their own work. They will have access to what's needed. If you run into problems let me know...send a pm .

hth's

gb

Can I get the starter out without removing the fender??

Thanks Greg, I will try that tomorrow. Our Cruiser club gets a 20% discount from a local toyota dealer which makes the prices pretty good (usually). The starter for my BJ-60 was only ~$200 CDN before discount. If price of the 24 volt starter is outrageous I will pop you a pm.

Now one more question for you guys, I apologize in advance for it being a really dumb one. :eek: How the hell do I get the starter out of the BJ-74??? I have the bolt and nut removed so the starter is physically not connected to the bell housing but I can't get it past the frame???? :censor: The only way I can see how is to take my fender off, which I really don't want to do??? I thought that if I removed my PTO drive shaft I would be able to squeeze it by there but it looks like it won't fit through their either?? Am I just not looking at this right, when I replaced the starter on my BJ-60 it was a peice of cake??? :confused:

Thanks everyone for your help.

I am back up and running

Well, I finally got my starter out. I had to remove my PTO drive shaft which involved removing my skid plate. Also had to remove a support bracker between the bell housing and the block and then finally removed the ground wire right below the starter and I was finally able to pop that sucker out.

When I got the starter out I found the clucth mechanism that pushes the pinion gear out was seized, kind of, it would turn but the gear would never came out. Luckily I had my old starter from my BJ-60 around ( because I have been lazy about returning it for my $10 core charge), swapped the clutch assembly and I was back in business. Who says procrastinating doesn't pay off, it just saved me about $500 :) .

skinny said:
. Who says procrastinating doesn't pay off, it just saved me about $500 :) .

A cheap fix kind of balances out a week of torment :D

ha!, allstone wrote-

"The starter is easy enough to access and remove"

you need the hands of houdini to remove the thing and I too had to drop the PTO shaft and pull one battery tray (PITA). many foul words came from my mouth during this process.

rebuilder charge in Tucson (Luna) was $76 tax included.

Peter came up with an easy solution to the PITA starter removal on his truck, cut out the fender and remove that way... not recommended for SWEET units but for an everyday driver or bush truck it makes sense...
cheers

Wayne... I came very close to cutting that fender. If it was my 60 I definately would have however not on my 74 (yet). Now that I know how to do it it is easy :rolleyes: .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom