Starter Connector clip location/source - help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
BLUF/tl;dr: trying to look for location of the starter connector clip (male) - is it on the main engine wire harness or coming through the firewall from the ignition?

Hey folks - first off thanks so much for everyone's contributions on this site, really saved me a lot of time and money these past few months.
I am currently replacing the Head Gasket on a '97 80 series US Model. I've got everything back in properly, except I'm having trouble with the starter. Its a new starter, but I cannot for the life of me find the male starter connector clip that goes into the starter. I did a pretty good inventory of everything as I was taking stuff out but missed this one.
The previous owner was a bit of a bush mechanic and put in a remote start mechanism, so it is hard to trace wiring back to the ignition. I have searched the site but I guess no one has had as amateurish of a problem as this one :). I did fire up the cruiser via ignition key before I did the head gasket so I know it at least starts with what was in there before.
See pic of old starter - it is the clip that goes into the black female clip on the right of the starter wire terminal/bolt. Where does it come from?
20210205_182610.jpg

On the service manual it is noted as the starter connector.
20210205_193348.jpg

I am going nuts trying to figure this out. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
I am so close to starting this baby up after 6 months of work!!

Hey @enox many thanks!! Looks like it is connected to the main engine wire harness then. I'll go see if I can find it today.
Really appreciate the help.

Hi @enox - thanks again for your help identifying that stray starter motor wire, really appreciate it. Starter is cranking but i'm not getting any spark (still troubleshooting that lol).
I was hoping to see if you (or any other mudders) might be able to help me with another engine wire harness connector that I am trying to figure out.
Right before the clip on the distributor, there is another wire that comes off the wire harness - it was a bit hard to take the pic but it is circled in red below. I must have broken off the clip in the process of replacing the head gasket. Anyway, just trying to figure out what it is and where it should go. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
20210302_193901.jpg

Pic of that
Joheld will tell you and me what it's called and what it does soon! stay tuned
16147345892877099855118949897477.jpg

Last edited:
Oh - fantastic - thank you @Tedward !! I will try and see if I have that grey clip in the vicinity of that stray wire.
Man if that is the final piece in my crank-but-no-start issue I will be super pumped. Chasing so many ghosts right now its not even funny lol.

try these part numbers iffin you want to for the connector housings

90980-10841
90980-10944

Pic of that
forget what that is but pretty sure if it's not connected your alt is out of the loop, running on batt alone
Just to clarify, that grey 3 pin connector with the single yellow/red stripe wire is EB1. That is the load side of the EFI relay that feeds the rest of the EFI system.

Just to clarify, that grey 3 pin connector with the single yellow/red stripe wire is EB1. That is the load side of the EFI relay that feeds the rest of the EFI system.
Thanks, I've been wondering about that connector for a while now. Of course not wondering enough to figure it out.

On my truck the wire on the load side was damaged and needed repair. I've seen other cases on here of the same thing. Just another thing that should be checked.

Thanks, I've been wondering about that connector for a while now. Of course not wondering enough to figure it out.

On my truck the wire on the load side was damaged and needed repair. I've seen other cases on here of the same thing. Just another thing that should be checked.
Absolutely. It would be another cause of no CEL with key ON resulting in a "crank no start". I think this is also mentioned in the FAQ troubleshooting section, and I know Kevin @Tools R Us spoke about it frequently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom