Starlink RV roaming version, initial test (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In-motion dish is massive!
It also comes with a dedicated power supply, mounts for the supply and router, and a separate usb to Ethernet cable so you can bypass the router without hacking the cable.

View attachment 3179490

View attachment 3179492

View attachment 3179501

View attachment 3179502
Interesting. I had assumed it would be similar or same size seeing as how there have been many current models hacked apart and mounted flush.

Curious to get your side by side performance comparison.

Interesting. I had assumed it would be similar or same size seeing as how there have been many current models hacked apart and mounted flush.

Curious to get your side by side performance comparison.
Power consumption is quite a bit higher too from what I’ve heard from space X pals. Interested to hear specifics.

They just went live in Alaska. Anyone using it for their on the road and home internet?

They just went live in Alaska. Anyone using it for their on the road and home internet?
The in motion version or standard dish?

If you’re asking about the home dish I have that and use it on the road. My experience is likely not an accurate reflection of performance because my area isn’t fully open, I used the portability feature and a location address loop hole to get one early. All that to say that my experience is all over the place. At my house (North Georgia) I get anywhere from 3mbps to 100mbps, this is with zero obstructions. While camping it’s also all over the place… obstructions will highly degrade service so when I camp on my side of the country trees affect the service, when in the open and I’m in a good cell it’s stable at 20-100mbps. Recently, we camped out west and speeds were blazing, well over 100mbps and stable. This has a lot to do with the are being open and available for service versus the southeast being considered on the waitlist.

If you want service I would recommend using the Starlink app scan feature and seeing checking possible mounting places. If you have a lot of trees it may be problematic.

Our purchase was based on a few criteria: backup to home service for service and power outages, service while mobile, and a desire to fire ATT when the Starlink is reliable enough to do so.

As with anything, your mileage may vary.

The in motion version or standard dish?

If you’re asking about the home dish I have that and use it on the road. My experience is likely not an accurate reflection of performance because my area isn’t fully open, I used the portability feature and a location address loop hole to get one early. All that to say that my experience is all over the place. At my house (North Georgia) I get anywhere from 3mbps to 100mbps, this is with zero obstructions. While camping it’s also all over the place… obstructions will highly degrade service so when I camp on my side of the country trees affect the service, when in the open and I’m in a good cell it’s stable at 20-100mbps. Recently, we camped out west and speeds were blazing, well over 100mbps and stable. This has a lot to do with the are being open and available for service versus the southeast being considered on the waitlist.

If you want service I would recommend using the Starlink app scan feature and seeing checking possible mounting places. If you have a lot of trees it may be problematic.

Our purchase was based on a few criteria: backup to home service for service and power outages, service while mobile, and a desire to fire ATT when the Starlink is reliable enough to do so.

As with anything, your mileage may vary.
Thanks. I’m in Alaska and they just opened up the state. I’ll check the app as I’m on the side of a mountain range. We only have one home internet provider where I live and pay $275 a month for ~250 mps that is usually closer to 100 mps and fairly unreliable as it goes out for 2-3 days 6-8 times a year. My wife works from her home office full time and I’m 50/50. So really would look at it mostly for something that was fast enough, less expensive, and more reliable.

We would use it to replace our home internet and then use it in our camper and cabin. I can’t see us using it while moving so was looking at the home dish.

Thanks. I’m in Alaska and they just opened up the state. I’ll check the app as I’m on the side of a mountain range. We only have one home internet provider where I live and pay $275 a month for ~250 mps that is usually closer to 100 mps and fairly unreliable as it goes out for 2-3 days 6-8 times a year. My wife works from her home office full time and I’m 50/50. So really would look at it mostly for something that was fast enough, less expensive, and more reliable.

We would use it to replace our home internet and then use it in our camper and cabin. I can’t see us using it while moving so was looking at the home dish.
I’ll go out on a limb here and say that multi day outages wouldn’t happen on Starlink plus you’d be paying a lot less. It may be worth looking further into for your use case.

I am also using it for both. I have a 2nd cable (the longer one) for the portable applications. Works great. BUT I'm likely going to switch over to the rooming dish because of the wind speed differences. The regular one is rated for I think 60 mph winds, and it stayed on the stand with 70 mph winds.. but I get much higher winds than that.

I am also using it for both. I have a 2nd cable (the longer one) for the portable applications. Works great. BUT I'm likely going to switch over to the rooming dish because of the wind speed differences. The regular one is rated for I think 60 mph winds, and it stayed on the stand with 70 mph winds.. but I get much higher winds than that.
That is good to know on wind. I regularly (as in a few times a year) get winds >70 mph at my house as well.

In-motion dish is massive!
It also comes with a dedicated power supply, mounts for the supply and router, and a separate usb to Ethernet cable so you can bypass the router without hacking the cable.

View attachment 3179490

View attachment 3179492

View attachment 3179501

View attachment 3179502

I am not seeing mounting hardware for the new rooming dish. Was a mount included or is that some separate order?

If it was a separate order do have the part description or part number?

With the in-motion version, they say it should be installed by a qualified professional. Is anything special about the install or the parts?

I've run power cables to my roof for lights and Weboost antenna, not overly complicated.

Just curious.

With the in-motion version, they say it should be installed by a qualified professional. Is anything special about the install or the parts?

I've run power cables to my roof for lights and Weboost antenna, not overly complicated.

Just curious.

No .. but it would be nice if they included the wedge mount they were suppose to include.

Has 4 bolt holes on the bottom for mounting.

No .. but it would be nice if they included the wedge mount they were suppose to include.

Has 4 bolt holes on the bottom for mounting.
yea really especially given the price of it. FWIW - I contacted their customer service for an order (mount) that went missing. They shipped me out another via FedEx without question. Original order showed up a few days later.

In-motion comes with a mount; however, it shipped separately and a week later than the dish.

Not at all. Same exact router as the tv/residential, but there’s an additional sized box that acts as a POE injector for the dish.

Hacked up my rv unit a couple weeks ago so I could flat mount it on my sprinter. Works just as well while in motion without having to pay for the in motion version.

7C280E79-2D87-4C1C-A005-7CAEA6ACCCCE.jpeg

Hacked up my rv unit a couple weeks ago so I could flat mount it on my sprinter. Works just as well while in motion without having to pay for the in motion version.

View attachment 3191098

Nice !!

How did you cut it down? I did watch the YouTube where the guy used a milling machine to cut it down for it boat.

Last edited:
Works just as well while in motion without having to pay for the in motion version.
right, but apparently SL has been flipping the switch on/off for regular dishes working while moving. some of the other groups it's "testing" and that they will likely disable it soon.

Nice !!

How did you cut it down? I did watch the YouTube where the guy used a milling machine to cut it down for it boat.
Pretty scientific method… taking a sharpie and placing it on a roll of electrical tape and then sliding the tape around the outside of the back of the dish while on a table. Leaves a nice outline. Then taking a dremel with a collar that limits the cutting depth and done.

right, but apparently SL has been flipping the switch on/off for regular dishes working while moving. some of the other groups it's "testing" and that they will likely disable it soon.
The day this happens, IF it happens I’ll post in this thread and buy the overpriced in motion version.

Where did you see this info?
As you know the month fees are the same.

Where did you see this info?
As you know the month fees are the same.
"Starlink for RVers and other mobile users" facebook group. I can't remember when, but apparently SL had disabled in motion for the regular dish - but it's back on now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom