SSO Sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a set of sliders to take advantage of black Friday sales. Does anyone have experience with SSO's weld-on sliders? I did a few google searches and can't come up with many pictures or info on the current sliders outside of what's on SSO's website. Unfortunately, they don't have many good angles of the sliders mounted on a GX.

I love the way they look and I like that they have three support legs vs two with OPOR, but I'm concerned with the welded plate steel construction of the support legs; one because I've generally seen them made of square box tube and two, I'm not sure how I'd paint the inside short of dipping them in big buckets of paint :hmm:(I'd prefer not having to powder coating them).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Everyone I know that runs them swears by them. I don't have them so just hearsay.

I contacted SSO directly yesterday and while they didn't have any pictures of different angles, they pointed out that the sliders are weld-on and can be mounted anywhere on the frame, so I guess I shouldn't be as worried about where they line up. I'd still like a picture or two haha.

They also linked me to a frame paint/spray wand set from Eastwood that I can use to paint the insides of the supports. About $40 bucks for the set.

I think I'm going to order them this weekend

Ordered them yesterday. I'll update with pictures when I install them.

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a set of sliders to take advantage of black Friday sales. Does anyone have experience with SSO's weld-on sliders? I did a few google searches and can't come up with many pictures or info on the current sliders outside of what's on SSO's website. Unfortunately, they don't have many good angles of the sliders mounted on a GX.

I love the way they look and I like that they have three support legs vs two with OPOR, but I'm concerned with the welded plate steel construction of the support legs; one because I've generally seen them made of square box tube and two, I'm not sure how I'd paint the inside short of dipping them in big buckets of paint :hmm:(I'd prefer not having to powder coating them).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

The pictures of the 470 on their site are my GX. I can go take some more of mine and post them up if you'd like.

Oh nice. I was just curious what they looked like from the side and with the door open, but I went ahead and ordered them so I guess I'll see soon enough, haha.

How did you paint them? Powder coat or rattle can?

Oh nice. I was just curious what they looked like from the side and with the door open, but I went ahead and ordered them so I guess I'll see soon enough, haha.

Would love to see these installed at some point. These are what I am looking at as well.

Would love to see these installed at some point. These are what I am looking at as well.
My buddy and I will be installing these when I get them, so I'll try to document as much as possible

I wouldn't recommend rattle can. I went that route before and just doing the prep coats of etching primer on the raw steel was a complete mess and pain in the ass! I ended up sending them out to be painted to finish them off after I did the primer.

Now this set for the GX I just sent them out for primer and paint and figured I would rattle cad them as touch-up once on the truck. But the paint doesn't hold up to rock chips so I since touched them up with POR 15 that I was using on re-finishing the front axle and lower control arms.

I wouldn't recommend rattle can. I went that route before and just doing the prep coats of etching primer on the raw steel was a complete mess and pain in the ass! I ended up sending them out to be painted to finish them off after I did the primer.

Now this set for the GX I just sent them out for primer and paint and figured I would rattle cad them as touch-up once on the truck. But the paint doesn't hold up to rock chips so I since touched them up with POR 15 that I was using on re-finishing the front axle and lower control arms.

I was just wondering how he tackled the welded boxed supports that look like they'll be a PIA to spray.

If you POR-15 the sliders, make sure you put a top coat on them (rattle can or otherwise) because that stuff is not meant to be exposed to UV rays. It'll warp and crack in the sun.

I was just wondering how he tackled the welded boxed supports that look like they'll be a PIA to spray.

If you POR-15 the sliders, make sure you put a top coat on them (rattle can or otherwise) because that stuff is not meant to be exposed to UV rays. It'll warp and crack in the sun.

Thanks for the tip, pretty surprising that would happen. I only did the under side of the sliders so far.

It's on POR's website. They sell their own brand of top coat or you can use spray paint.

Are you applying POR to new metal? It's meant to be applied over rusted/rough surfaces and doesn't adhere well to smooth surfaces.

I used it to paint the frame of my old Jeep years ago and it held up great.

Last edited:

I've had good luck with Rustoleum of all colors. I just wipe them off with thinner and shoot away. I was in a rush last set I did and painted on the truck. The only spots I've had to touch up are the wear areas and knicks.

I actually got them last week. My wife is due any day now with our first, so the slider install has been put on the back burner. I'm planning to have them powder coated soon and then installed within a month or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom