squealing crank pulley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working on my FJ62 3FE and thought i would post here as well just in case someone else had this issue and I know this crowd better! I replaced and rebuilt all my front engine pulleys, new water pump, rebuilt PS, idler pulley bearings, front timing seal and gasket.Now I have a squeal. I have isolated it to the crank pulley for sure. I thought I greased the snout and seal when i put it together. It had a very bad leak and I used a lot of cleaner on everything before I put it back together. I am thinknig of pulling the crank pulley and lubing it up again. Anyone else have this problem? It is for certain coming from the crank/timing cover area as i removed all the belts.

Really sucks as it took a lot of effort to get it back together today! Good news, nothing is leaking. Thanks.

Hi, I just had this happen, I had to get a new front seal housing. Mike

Thanks Michael, you mean timng cover? You think it was warped? I flollowed the fsm and imstallex tbe pulley first then torqued the cover bolts.

Great, just checked and the timing cover is NLA. I guess I will pull the crank pulley and try to lube it real good.

Last edited:
Yes . I was as upset as you,I never like doing things twice. Mike

I’m just wondering if this scenario is possible. The oiler nozzle that lubes the crank pulley is clogged which let the seal go bad causing the leak. With the leak it was getting lubed so no squeal. When you fixed the leak with a new seal now it again is getting no oil to it and thus the squeal. It’s just a thought. Did you remove the nozzle, clean and replace in the proper position?
My experience in that area is the F.5. I'm guessing your engine has the same oil nozzle set up but not sure.

I guess that is possible. It has the oil nozzle, but I didnt remove it, I only checked that it was pointing the proper direction. It squealed from the moment I fisrt started it. So, I am thinking I didnt pre lube it enough (or at all). I just cant imagine me NOT putting grase ot lube on the crank pulley when I installed it. BUT, I left off the hose from the WP to the oil cooler until I had everything back together and was doing a final check!! I really dont want to pull the cover off, as I did a really good job sealing it!

Sometimes I wonder why I get myself into these projects?? It must be some kind of personality flaw that is a distant cousin to self mutilation.

@emac

Others have reported spraying the back side of the harmonic balancer with WD-40 to see if that made the squeal go away. If so, it's likely the seal wasn't lubed up enough on re-assembly.

One of those plastic straws would help get the WD-40 into the seal area.

Well, after a wonderful Easter dinner with family I went out to remove the pulley. It appears to be self inflicted. The pulley and cover were misaligned and the pulley was rubbing on the cover. My brain was thinking it was metal to metal, but my heart wanted to believe otherwise. I do not know why. My thoughts are:

-- Seal not seated all the way
-- cover too tight when I installed the crank pulley. Only thing I did different than usual is that I put a coat of Permatex gasket sealer on both sides of the cork gasket. I usually only seal the gasket to the cover just to keep it in place. Maybe the selant didnt allow the cover to move as easily when the pulley was seated. Getting a new seal and gasket tomorrow.

Education gets expensive sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom