Spot Weld Cutter - What Size & Where to Buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When i bought my dash box from Dashman, he included one. I'll take a pic when I get home.

ed

No need for an expensive spot weld remover.

Get 5 1/8" and 3 1/4" cheap drill bits. (As they wear out pitch them)

Use a wire wheel to remove the paint to bare metal so you can easily find the welds.

Find the center of the spot weld, drill a pilot hole with the 1/8" then change to the 1/4" to drill out the weld. I put the 1/8" in a cordless drill and the 1/4" in the more powerful corded drill. Drill all the 1/8" holes, then come back with the 1/4". If you can find a pilot drill bit it will have the 1/8" to 1/4" in one bit.

I took apart my entire rear Cruiser body with this method. :D

An air chisel with a thin blade really helps to separate the welds that are stubborn!

I purchased this combo set from northern tool and used one of the sizes to cut out eight spot welds on a military surplus ammo can. As you can see from the product picture each size picture has two sets of teeth. Before I had finished with my eight welds, I had broken off teeth on one side, and I had to flip the cutter over to finish. I'm not sure if it was a crappy product or crappy technique. Northern tool has other spot weld cutter products that might be better.

Spot Weld Cutters — 2-Pc. Set | Spot Welders | Northern Tool + Equipment

I had a couple spot welds I needed to take out when doing my FJ45 hard top. I ended up going with the harbor freight one for $5. I picked up two figuring they were junk. You can swap the head to the other side for another cutting head. I didn't even burn out half of one. I was happy for the price and was able to go pick it up when I needed it. The pin wanders a little but you can use a small drill bit to start a pilot hole. Spot Weld Cutter - 3/8" Spot Weld Cutter Drill Bit

I tried the drill bit method and just made a mess of things.

I had to remove some rain gutter this summer, I tried the drill bit method that Coolerman described. No worky.

I was putting an order in at Jegs so I added on their cutter tool. It came in an Eastwood package, it's this one: Spotweld Drill 3/8" Pro Worked great.

I had to remove some rain gutter this summer, I tried the drill bit method that Coolerman described. No worky.

I was putting an order in at Jegs so I added on their cutter tool. It came in an Eastwood package, it's this one: Spotweld Drill 3/8" Pro Worked great.

If your using drill bits I think you need at least a cobalt, maybe sub-micron carbide because those welds are really hardened from the heat, like stainless steel or harder. I think any regular drill bit will struggle.

KLF, did you notice on those Eastwood bits if they said USA on the bit? Reason I ask is that I have a lot of spot welder bits in use right now and they are imports. I haven't had any complaints but the eastwoods look like a much higher quality.......along with the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom