Sporadic “click” but no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been reading up on this and from what I have seen (in my very uneducated opinion) my issue is being caused by either 1) A worn out fusible link or 2) A faulty ignition switch. Before I start throwing money at these I thought I would post a video and get some feedback from those that know better than me.
It is worth noting that this is becoming more frequent, will sometimes click multiple times before firing up, and is unaffected by engine temperature. Thanks for any advice!

What about sticking starter contacts? Do you know the condition of your starter? It is cheap to rebuild the starter contacts and is easy to do.

The only reason I do not believe it is starter related is because I had this engine dropped in fresh last March, and rebuilding the starter was part of the checklist.

I have been reading up on this and from what I have seen (in my very uneducated opinion) my issue is being caused by either 1) A worn out fusible link or 2) A faulty ignition switch. Before I start throwing money at these I thought I would post a video and get some feedback from those that know better than me.
It is worth noting that this is becoming more frequent, will sometimes click multiple times before firing up, and is unaffected by engine temperature. Thanks for any advice!

Like Jon Held said.

It's most likely a set of starter contacts.

If you end up stuck someplace and it only clicks over and over, get under the driver's side, whack the starter with a hammer, breaker bar, rock, anything handy that can give the body of the starter a good vibration and it should restart.

Let me know if you need a hand. I've been working from home, but do some traveling and could re-route my path into your area. We can social-distance in a driveway and I can point and wave while you work...... :rofl:

The only reason I do not believe it is starter related is because I had this engine dropped in fresh last March, and rebuilding the starter was part of the checklist.
Then check your battery post cleanliness and connections to make sure they are tight. Should do this anyway.

If all they did was install a reman starter from O'Reilly, it's probably the starter. My O'Reilly starter has made it 3 years before crapping out again.

I rebuilt my factory unit and just haven't got around to swapping it out, so I fight this issue regularly.

Not meaning to stir anything up, but did you do the starter rebuild or did someone else?

Starter contacts, solenoid or a poor ground/connections - These could all be in the realm of possibilities.

Like Jon Held said.

It's most likely a set of starter contacts.

If you end up stuck someplace and it only clicks over and over, get under the driver's side, whack the starter with a hammer, breaker bar, rock, anything handy that can give the body of the starter a good vibration and it should restart.

Let me know if you need a hand. I've been working from home, but do some traveling and could re-route my path into your area. We can social-distance in a driveway and I can point and wave while you work...... :rofl:

LOL! That works!

Not meaning to stir anything up, but did you do the starter rebuild or did someone else?

Starter contacts, solenoid or a poor ground/connections - These could all be in the realm of possibilities.

Thanks. It was not me, but someone far more talented. LOL. Starter seems to be the common theme here, so I will start checking connections. I appreciate all the feedback guys!

Thanks. It was not me, but someone far more talented. LOL. Starter seems to be the common theme here, so I will start checking connections. I appreciate all the feedback guys!
There are about 200 threads regarding replacing starter contacts, and I can't find the one right now that specifies the only correct way to do this.
One must make certain that the new contacts are sitting flat in the housing so they make flush contact with the rim of the solenoid plunger. As the copper nut tightens down, the contact will want to rotate on you. If that happens, that contact will wear exceedingly quickly and the plunger will develop divots in the copper rim. This will cause premature failure.
I use a small block of scrap wood against the contacts to prevent rotation.
I have also seen 2 remanufactured starters from Toyota in red and white boxes that had new contacts and an old plunger, and the bore of the solenoid was full of old grease and crap. If you're rebuilding your starter contacts, take the time to clean out the bore and spring, and use a lightweight lubricant in the bore to keep things moving along.

Last edited:
I guess I will be investigating this sooner than I thought… I just walked out of my office and hopped in the old girl to go to lunch and all I am getting is clicks! Lol

** UPDATE ** Alright, there is definitely STILL an issue, but it not starting at the office was completely unrelated. After investigating the terminal connections and beating the crap out of the starter, I realized that my vehicle was IN D! :bang:

** UPDATE ** Alright, there is definitely STILL an issue, but it not starting at the office was completely unrelated. After investigating the terminal connections and beating the crap out of the starter, I realized that my vehicle was IN D! :bang:

It happens to the best of us, buddy!

I have *never* done that...nope...not me....:cry:...it happened this week.

I sourced a 2.2kw starter and ordered the rebuild kit from Absolute Wit's End. After I get it dropped in I will post a good update, but it seems like this should solve the issue.

I sourced a 2.2kw starter and ordered the rebuild kit from Absolute Wit's End. After I get it dropped in I will post a good update, but it seems like this should solve the issue.
Fingers crossed on that bud!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom