Spongey Brakes, and replacing the Master Cylinder - help me not go crazy! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Firstly, thank those who answered my thread a few days ago about the type of master cylinder I needed.

I recently bought a 96 FZJ80 VX limited imported 102,000km (63k miles) from Japan. It's in pretty incredible condition; there are a few minor things I already took care of noted in the pre-purchase inspection.

Either it's my incredibly bad luck with cars or age (I'm telling myself it's that), but after a few weeks, I noticed the pedal was spongy and going farther to the floor than expected. Then, as I'm driving home from work, I press the pedal, and bam, my foot sinks all the way; with another pump, it hardened (but still spongy).

I went to the FSM and did as methodically a step-by-step process as possible.
1. inspected all soft and hard lines for leaks and bulging, as well as general leaks; none found
2. Bled system 3-4 times (yes, including the LSPV), some improvement, but still spongey with the occasional foot to the floor at low speeds and some high. (saw no air when bleeding)
3. Inspect all calipers and pads; the front two calipers had seized pistons with uneven wear; those were replaced, and considerable improvement, but the foot will still go to the floor frequently.

All forums and threads I've read here and elsewhere, including the FSM point to the master cylinder. I have this on order from the UAE on the recommendation of a previous post I made (this year has a 2-bolt MC instead of the 4-bolt). For reference, I did bleed the master cylinder, as the FSM says, and it made no difference.

I'm trying not to make myself go crazy here thinking it's more things; the rotors probably need to be replaced soon, and the LSPV is on the list, but it bleeds fine.
I'm more focused on getting rid of this foot basically to the floor issue, along with the very spongy brakes.

Does anyone think other issues could cause this? Am I on the right track with the MC?

Thanks for the help in advance!

You're on the correct path. When the seals in the MC go, as the pedal goes down the fluid comes back around the seals rather than build pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom