Spent over $2,400 on my LX in 3 weeks! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^ It's all good. Since these rigs have gotten cheaper, some less financially liquid folks have bought them and assume since ISIL, African warlords, and the UN uses them, they can run forever just on gas.

I think most of the UN stuff run on diesel. My Son is in the Army and said they tried to kill the diesel L/C's when he was in Syria. They were pretty indestructible.

I think you got a very fair deal on the rig and a very fair deal on the services. You own a great platform, but wear items need to be replaced over time (as with all cars). Once you get through the wear items you'll have an amazingly reliable rig.

By the way, you're just getting started on spending money. You'll spend another $10K over the next 3 years on maintenance and wear items.

By the way, you're just getting started on spending money. You'll spend another $10K over the next 3 years on maintenance and wear items.
True that. I was originally looking at a 2004 Disco 2 because of the solid front axle, traction control and center diff lock in that year only, but decided that the Hundy would be less of a headache in the long run. All my other Toyota vehicles have been pretty reliable if taken care of. I'm a little OCD when it comes to maintenance so I tend to overspend on things before they go south.

True that. I was originally looking at a 2004 Disco 2 because of the solid front axle, traction control and center diff lock in that year only, but decided that the Hundy would be less of a headache in the long run. All my other Toyota vehicles have been pretty reliable if taken care of. I'm a little OCD when it comes to maintenance so I tend to overspend on things before they go south.
Been building cars for a while. Had a kid 2 years ago and decided I wanted to build a family fun truck. Choice was between an 80, preferably a locked 97 or a 04 Disco 2...CDL...SFA. The Land Rover was closer, cheaper, newer, frame was in better shape and overall just easier for me to aquire logistically. BIG mistake. You my friend, dodged a bullet. Long story short...ended up ditching the Disco for an Arizona 2000 LC100 with 265k that was considerably, CONSIDERABLY better than the 125k 04 LR. Those old over bored Buick 215 v8 motors in the Disco's are yucky at best.

Yea. I just purchased a 2018 4Runner last year but my Wife snagged that one as her daily driver so I was still stuck with my hooptie fleet. '85 60 series, '89 F250, '52 Dodge M37. I was going to look for another older 4Runner or Taco but because I want to be different, wanted something more modern but not something you see on the road every day. So there there you go. I also considered the more reliable LR3 or LR4 but they are too Mall Crawler for my taste.

I'm sorry if you guys think I'm complaining. I was just just amazed at all the details that needed attention after purchase. Out of everything done, the only failure was the fan pulley. All of the other work was preventative and I had no documentation it had been done. After Inspection, the steering rack, CV's, Rotors and Brakes were done by the P/O. As for the Brake Booster/MC and Starter, The Fluid looks clean and she stops. Engine fires right away. AHC works like it should and I've noticed no leaks in the system while under the truck.

factor there aren’t a Ton of cars built to go 400k+ miles or go
Where these cars can go relatively stock. I think that
Impacts life of service/repair/maintenance costs

From the prices I am seeing, you didn't overpay.
Nice LX470's will command a premium.

Here’s what southwest cruisers are pulling in my area.

this one is actually low mileage but others with 180k+
on the clock are going for 18+ and people around here are doggedly firm

Folks here think the LX470 prices are going up. You should have watched the jump in the most recent SLK55 AMG prices in the last several months. Completely nuts.

From the prices I am seeing, you didn't overpay.
Nice LX470's will command a premium.
I know. There were three more LX470's in the Reno area for more money, in less condition than mine. The two "Toyota" hundies I found were located in the California Bay Area, and stupid expensive for the year and high mileage.

This is why I decided to "Garage Queen" my 1985 60. Have you seen the prices for a clean one of these lately?

bay area sucks. Everything is unjustifiably overpriced there. evacuate all available cruisers And cruiser owners so it can fall off in the ocean already.

bay area sucks. Everything is unjustifiably overpriced there. evacuate all available cruisers And cruiser owners so it can fall off in the ocean already.
I have relatives in Danville and Orinda, and yes It's crazy expensive. Good place to look for pampered exotic luxury SUV's though.

Last month on Bring-A-Trailer:
2002 LX470 with 165K miles brought $20,500

My 2002 LX470 now only has 54K miles. I paid $22.5K for it 4 years ago.
Think I can get my money back?
Buy the nice ones and take care of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom