Spent over $2,400 on my LX in 3 weeks! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased this two owner LX470 W/195,000 miles last month for $11,000 and in the last three weeks, have done the following.
Timing Belt and Water Pump= $800.
4 New Cooper Discovery A/T 3 tires= $870.
Fan pulley failed one week after timing belt-w/p job.
New fan pulley, Radiator, Hoses, Heater T's and Fan Clutch= $760.
I decided since we were already in there, to do the fan clutch, heater T's and Radiator. In retrospect, I should have replaced these items when he had it apart for the Timing Belt job but ???
Don't get me wrong, I love this new addition to my L/C Fleet. It drives better than any Cadillac I've owned and is much more civilized than my FJ60 but MAN $$$.
lexus20012.jpg
lexus 20011.jpg
I hope I can start spending money on some toys for it now.

Nice truck, and whoever is doing your service is treating you very fairly!

If it makes you feel better, I spent way more than you did to buy mine. And way more to baseline it (DIY parts cost only).

^^^^^^
You haven't even base lined it yet. Change all fluids, check ALL brake components, new spark plugs, etc....

"I hope I can start spending money on some toys for it now."

Or maybe some grass for your yard. ;)

I'm waiting for the punchline .....

You may have overpaid at 11k and that mileage with services being due
^^^^^^
You haven't even base lined it yet. Change all fluids, check ALL brake components, new spark plugs, etc....

"I hope I can start spending money on some toys for it now."

Or maybe some grass for your yard. ;)

yup,

half the battle is buying a cruiser with big ticket items already done..

11k seems like a lot to then turn around and have to do timing belt and radiator..

the seller came out like a bandit.

Price is slightly on the higher end given the mileage but that interior looks immaculate and well taken care of.

Seems like you don't wrench on your own vehicles, with these trucks doing your own maintenance and repairs is the key to owning it, or you'll be paying through the nose in the long run. If you have to pay someone to do your steering rack or brake booster, that's gonna hurt.

I w
Seems like you don't wrench on your own vehicles, with these trucks doing your own maintenance and repairs is the key to owning it, or you'll be paying through the nose in the long run. If you have to pay someone to do your steering rack or brake booster, that's gonna hurt.
I wrench on my vehicles all the time. When I feel Like it. In the Summer Time @ 100 degrees, I don't feel like it. Fluid changes and tune up were done prior to purchase. The only failure was the fan pulley which looked fine when doing the timing belt. I chose to replace everything else in the cooling system for peace of mind and because I could afford to.

I have similar expenditures with stuff that needed taken care of and I am still not really "done" per say. The critical stuff has been taken care of but now it is on to finalizing the corrections of the POs shady shop(s).

Here is the thing that another member told me.... Sometimes these trucks are like abused rescue dogs... they will want all your love and attention until they feel safe. Thing is that once that happens you will never have a better or more loyal vehicle.

And as another guy coming from a 60 to a 100, I will always miss my beloved 60 but as I fix more stuff with the 100, I am falling more in love with it.

I enjoy "wrenching" but know my limitations. I worked as a mechanic, as a trade back in the 1980s. My knowledge is from that era and prior. Today I tool around as a hobby and not out of necessity. The Modern Tech stuff like the Lexus I leave to the pros, who know WTF they are doing. My mechanic is a personal friend of mine who I trust knows his s#it. I give him work because its convenient for me and he grew up in the world of OBD and Aluminum Over Head cams. When he needs help with carbs or old school emissions systems I give him a hand.

Yeah I've been there. Can empathize.

New brake booster motor and accumulator $1k
TB, fan pulley, valve cover etc, AC compressor, $600
CVs $800 + $300 on the 3 non OEM ones that were junk

Story is of all cruisers, the bones are always good but the bits around it will always cost a lot to upkeep and replace.

Yeah I've been there. Can empathize.

New brake booster motor and accumulator $1k
TB, fan pulley, valve cover etc, AC compressor, $600
CVs $800 + $300 on the 3 non OEM ones that were junk

Story is of all cruisers, the bones are always good but the bits around it will always cost a lot to upkeep and replace.
Déjà Vu:

These trucks are neither inexpensive to own/run nor a great value for money - but they surprise you with how solid their bones are and how long the major mechanicals last!

the truck looks good, nice interior. I would just forget the $2400, as these replacements last a while, start saving for other things :grinpimp:

I'm sorry if you guys think I'm complaining. I was just just amazed at all the details that needed attention after purchase. Out of everything done, the only failure was the fan pulley. All of the other work was preventative and I had no documentation it had been done. After Inspection, the steering rack, CV's, Rotors and Brakes were done by the P/O. As for the Brake Booster/MC and Starter, The Fluid looks clean and she stops. Engine fires right away. AHC works like it should and I've noticed no leaks in the system while under the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom