Speedometer help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I am working on my 1976 FJ55 and I recently took my speedo cluster apart to get the odometer working again. I succeeded there.

However, my speedo now reads extremely high. In 2nd gear doing about 15 mph, the speedo needle is at 50 mph. 30 mph is well above 80 mph.

When I reinstalled the needle, I set it at 0 and that is where it sits.

Any thoughts?

Nevermind...I figured it out!

For the record, it was the magneto that had some residual old grease in it from when I cleaned out the gears with electronics cleaner the first time. I sprayed it down VERY thoroughly this time and some junk came out.

All good now!

Basically what I did with wipers!!! I soaked all the pivot points I could reach with WD40 Silicone and they Crank like you wouldnt believe 😘😎.
Wipes are up next!

Just to be clear, the magneto SHOULD NOT have any lube and that was what my problem was. I had previously cleaned all the old petrified grease out of the gears with electronics cleaner and then sprayed everything down with white lithium including the magneto.

When I took everything apart again, it dawned on me, that the magneto is balanced and should not have any extra weight on/in it. So I cleaned everything with electronics cleaner again, focusing on cleaning the magneto thoroughly. After everything was clean, I just sprayed the gears, and only the gears, with white lithium while keeping the magneto clean.

When the magneto had the extra weight of the grease on/in it, it was causing the coil spring to tighten at an exponential rate when the magneto was spinning which caused the speedo needle to register extremely high at lower speeds.

In essence, in repairing my odometer, I created a new problem which resulted in tearing it apart again. I learn best when I do things 2 or 3 times!

Looks like even old experienced dogs can learn new tricks, John. Timely since I need to work on my odometer.
JIm

Looks like even old experienced dogs can learn new tricks, John. Timely since I need to work on my odometer.
JIm
Absolutely! I gotta keep it interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom