Spark Plug Size, Gap, Torque & Spark Plug Socket Size for 1FZ / 3FE (Definitive Info) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
I used that title because it's a PITA to find all of this in different threads, and folks looking for fast answers can come here.

1FZ engine: Spark plug is 16mm. Good-fit sockets are 16mm and 5/8". Sloppy-fit: 17mm and 11/16".
OEM plug is 90919-01176
Also on the box (and the plug): K16R-U (Denso #)

GAP said to be (can anyone confirm?) 0.8mm / .031"

Torque (via @Vasiliy):

N·m. kgf·cm ft·lbf
20. 200. 14

3FE I dunno; don't have one.

Last edited:
Good timing I am getting extra sparkplug sockets for my other vehicles and saw this. Thanks! Should it be stated that one should get the swivel magnetic with build it extension? Not that these heads are known for spitting plugs but might be nice to have the insert size needed too.

Good timing I am getting extra sparkplug sockets for my other vehicles and saw this. Thanks! Should it be stated that one should get the swivel magnetic with build it extension? Not that these heads are known for spitting plugs but might be nice to have the insert size needed too.
I find that I want the swivel (if any) outside of the spark plug tube, in case it comes apart. And one long extension from the socket to wrench or swivel, for the same reason. #6 is a b*tch. You also want a socket that's not going to let go or lose its insert in the hole. Everything from coil to engine was replaced maybe 3yrs back; hoping my P0301 is just a bad plug...

Also NGK plug BKR5EYA

And no less important TORQUE SPECIFICATION
Spark plug to Cylinder head

N·m. kgf·cm ft·lbf
20. 200. 14

I used that title because a bunch of threads say a bunch of different things, and folks looking for a fast answer can come here (once both answers have been posted).

1FZ engine: Spark plug is 16mm. Good-fit sockets are 16mm and 5/8". Sloppy-fit: 17mm and 11/16".
OEM plug is 90919-01176
Also on the box (and the plug): K16R-U (Denso #)

GAP said to be (can anyone confirm?) 0.8mm / .031"

3FE I dunno; don't have one.
All this information is in the FSM. Why are you guessing? Just look it up.

Wait a second. You have actually used a 17mm or an 11/16 on a 5/8 sparkplug? WHY?

Mark...

I once tapped and sleeved a sparkplug hole at 11 pm 800 and change miles from home using a tap, impact driver, a bag of wheel bearing grease and 4 inch metal punch a couple of feet away from people getting arrested. The only tool I had that was correct for the situation was the 16mm sparkplug socket. Assuming people only deal with issues when they happen to have the correct tools with them is a luxury.

Wait a second. You have actually used a 17mm or an 11/16 on a 5/8 sparkplug? WHY?

Mark...
No, I just tried them on a spark plug in my hand. Why not? :)

All this information is in the FSM. Why are you guessing? Just look it up.
Because I don't have the FSM on my phone? :) No guess there that I recall. Yeah I know I should print it out and laminate it and toss it in the truck, eventually...

Last edited:
What's the thread on the spark plug where it goes into the head? Need to know for leakdown and compression test fit. TIA!

try and get your hands on an OEM tool kit that came with these new.
it has a spark plug socket on a long tube (item with rubber band) which is great as it has a rubber grommet in it to grab the plug and makes putting them back in simple.
I welded a 1/2' socket on the end so I can torque to spec. FWIW - i use it on my wifes Mazda as it has the same size spark plug hex

NGK bkr5eya / 6eya(lpg) I use

1692243299655.png

Best spark plug socket??

16mm, ⅜ drive deep socket, 2" strip of electrical tape.

Stick tape along the outside of the socket, fold ¾" off tape in to the open end of the socket. Grips the plug perfectly every time! If not, add a second layer of tape.

No need for a special socket that isn't in your kit already.

The same trick helps grip a nut in a socket when you're trying to thread a nut on a bolt somewhere hard to access

Best spark plug socket??

Stick tape along the outside of the socket, fold ¾" off tape in to the open end of the socket. Grips the plug perfectly every time! If not, add a second layer of tape.

The same trick helps grip a nut in a socket when you're trying to thread a nut on a bolt somewhere hard to access
When i use to change and clean spark plugs on aircraft engines i used a special spark plug socket that had a magnet in it that held onto the end of the plug so it couldn't fall out, I just wish i could find a socket like that for automotive use

When i use to change and clean spark plugs on aircraft engines i used a special spark plug socket that had a magnet in it that held onto the end of the plug so it couldn't fall out, I just wish i could find a socket like that for automotive use
GearWrench makes them--six point--with attached swivel extensions of various lengths. I'm looking at this:

Amazon product ASIN B000NIEECO
They also make a larger set that will handle other plugs.

Best spark plug socket??

Six-point or twelve-point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom