Spare Tire Issue under GX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How much would a 5th wheel cost you? I went with 5 wheels so I can rotate, I figure the tire rotation will help with the wear on the tires.

The price is not the only only issue. My 17x9 rims are too wide to put a skinnny tire. This forces me to go to a fat spare at say 285/70/17 and now I have to deflate it or change out the tow hitch to fit in spare location.

Or buy a new rear bumper to carry spare.

I don’t want the domino effect for spare. I think going with a skinny tall like a 255/75/17 is my answer.

Local tire shop Allen Tires says GX470 oem Tires were P tires and 4 ply. So, he says go with 6-ply c rated for spare at 255/75/17

I need to confirm that original tires are 4 ply. I think it would ease my desire to go e rated for spare and just do the 255/75/17 c rated tire

Last edited:
It would cool if there was a table that listed the evolution of tire load ratings, load index, and ply’s.

I grew up thinking of 8-ply and 10-ply. Then it switched to P, D, and E load rating tires.

Now it’s load index like 110, and 115, and 121.

I haven’t done enough research to be the expert on this, but so far here’s how I think it goes.

Passenger tires are “P”, or “SL” for standard load or 4-ply for the most part. Some tires can now be XL for extra load.

Next are the C load rated which are like 6-ply and probably start at load index 110. This is the light truck or SUV starting point.

Next are the D load rated or around 115 load index or 8-ply. This is now if you tow or off-road or carry heavy loads.

Finally, the E load rated tires or 10-ply or load index probably like 121. These are meant to handle maximum loads on truck including heavy towing. I happen to run e rated tires up front and d rated on rear. That’s how my gx470 came when I bought it used. Not sure what the thinking of PO was when doing this.

I’ll have to figure out what to do when I replace tires in a year or so.

In the mean time, I’m looking for a used spare tire in 255/75/17 (that’s a 32.1x10R17) and probably C-rated or load index in the 110 to 116

SpareTire02.jpg
659D4A79-A430-45FD-9EC3-B27FC3D5E182.png
Found a repainted used fjc steel rim for $47.

Size: 17"x7.5" - Bolt Pattern: 6x139.7mm or 6x5.50" - Offset: 14mm - Center Bore: 106mm

This will go with my spare tire in the stock spare location.

Found spare in almost new condition 255/75R17 BFG Mud Terrain KM for $60. This is the 32.1x10R17 tire that will be my spare to my 285/70R17s. Spare tire is C rated or similar to 6-ply or 111 load rating. Manufacturing date is 4913 = week 49 year 2013

I’ll post another picture once mounted and installed in spare location.

Last edited:
Mounted and installed my spare in the OEM spare location...

Spare Tire: BFG Mud Terrain KM 275/55R17 inflated to 60 lbs
Spare Rim: FJ Cruiser Steel Rim 17x7.5 with +14 offset

This spare tire should be like a 32.1" x 10" R17. It fit like a tight glove under the spare location.

MountedSpare_01.jpg
MountedSpare_02.jpg
MountedSpare_03.jpg
MountedSpare_04.jpg

I have a fully inflated 255/80/R17 KM2 under mine on stock rim. I had to remove the dealer add on tow hitch to make it fit.It was still tight!

@Chuy do you have pictures on how the tire fits and looks without the tow hitch? That’s a 33.1” x 10” tire. A true pizza cutter

Mounted and installed my spare in the OEM spare location...

Spare Tire: BFG Mud Terrain KM 275/55R17 inflated to 60 lbs
Spare Rim: FJ Cruiser Steel Rim 17x7.5 with +14 offset

This spare tire should be like a 32.1" x 10" R17. It fit like a tight glove under the spare location.

View attachment 1579278 View attachment 1579279 View attachment 1579280 View attachment 1579281
Homers, Do you have KDSS? I went with 255/75/17 BFG Mud Terrains on stock rims but my spare is about a half inch too big and is wedged against my KDSS.

No kdss for me. You will need to deflate your tire and carry an air pump.

I have an OEM spare with a worn 285/70R17 BFG KO2 on it and it fit, fully inflated, in the stock position with no issues. It doesn't quite go up to all the stops, but its close enough!

I need E tires for off-roading. They are 10-ply compared to the C tires that are 6-ply. Or d tires that are 8-ply.

Seems I missed this - technical note, they do not refer to physical ply count anymore. Basically, it's analogous to an equivalent bias ply count from ye olde days: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

Keep in mind that inflation pressure requirements vary when moving from a P-rated tire (which the GX came with) to an LT-rated tire, and higher pressures are necessary to safely maintain the same load: https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125/application_of_load_inflation_tables_20170203.pdf

fsVM20F.png

hey guys, thought i'd revive this thread... lots of good info.

but my question is this... for those who fit a 285/70r17 tire in the stock spare location (w/oem wheel), is there any worry about the lift mechanism being able to hold the extra weight of the larger tire? i think a 285/70r17 e-rated tire is a good 20-25 lbs heavier than a stock size passenger tire

Not for me

I know this is an older thread but wanted to add that I found it very helpful and I can confirm a few findings.

I added a 2" lift to my GX470 and upgraded my wheels and tires to 285/70. I tested different spare tire sizes at the shop and wanted to confirm a few facts:

1) The largest spare tire size you can fit underneath the GX is 255/75/R17. This size will fit tightly, and is fairly close to the 285 size. It is smaller by 1/2" but much better than the stock 265/65 and better than a 265/70.

2) A 285 will NOT fit as a spare. A factor that might affect this is whether you have a trailer hitch, but don't expect to be able to fit a full sized spare under the truck!

3) 285s -may- be able to fit on oem rims, but my tire shop strongly argues against it, saying 285/70s should really have a minimum wheel width of 8". Stock GX and 4Runner wheels are generally 7 - 7 1/2". Most of the 285 tires I looked at indicate they should be mounted on an 8 1/2" wheel. If you want to keep oem wheels, 255/80/17 tires have no problems with mounting and they're the same height, just slightly narrower.

2) A 285 will NOT fit as a spare. A factor that might affect this is whether you have a trailer hitch, but don't expect to be able to fit a full sized spare under the truck!

A fully deflated 285/70 definitely fits in the spare location, doesn't matter what hitch you have. You need to muscle the tire up there but it goes, I've been running one like that for years now with the higher rated hitch and no issues.

Please keep in mind that size of your suspension lift impact spare tire clearance. Rear axle control arm would be at steeper angle the taller the lift and pull the axle forward. This give a bit more clearance at ride height.

I could barely fit 255/75R15 JK Rubicon take off at 2" lift and small hitch. Its touching KDSS cylinder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom