Spare Tire Issue under GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We should add this to the spare tire guide. Factors to include:
* rear lift height;
* tire size (and not all brands are the same size!);
* whether or not you have KDSS;
* tow package type.

I have the SSO rear conversion with all three spacers (3/4"); 5100s with FJ springs. I can fit a Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70 no problem, a 255/80 ST Maxx E sits squarely on the panhard.

A fully deflated 285/70 definitely fits in the spare location, doesn't matter what hitch you have. You need to muscle the tire up there but it goes, I've been running one like that for years now with the higher rated hitch and no issues.

Interesting, it was definitely no-go for me, even deflated. We had the truck up on a lift and couldn't get it in. The trailer hitch was also a factor (I have an aftermarket Curt hitch).

Ok, I'm resurrecting this thread to see if I can get a final answer based on the factors outlined.

I have a 2" lift going in a week from now and I'm planning to upgrade tires as well. I want the spare to fit the stock location. I'm non-KDSS, running stock rims, and I have no hitch mounted. Is 255/75/17 the biggest it'll hold, or could I squeeze something else in?

Many years ago on a very lightweight old Willys CJ5 I had 235/85/16's because I needed the height but too wide a footprint with no power steering was a chore and wide was terribly floaty in the snow. If I remember right they were a little over 32" tall and only 9" wide so I bet that would fit underneath well enough and be pretty close to the height so shouldn't be a problem running one as a spare.

Ok, I'm resurrecting this thread to see if I can get a final answer based on the factors outlined.

I have a 2" lift going in a week from now and I'm planning to upgrade tires as well. I want the spare to fit the stock location. I'm non-KDSS, running stock rims, and I have no hitch mounted. Is 255/75/17 the biggest it'll hold, or could I squeeze something else in?
I have a 2" lift with a stock hitch, non-kdss on stock rims and I can just barely fit a 255/75r17 KO2 AT2 in the spare location. It is fully aired up with an active TPMS sensor. It has less than .5" of space, although you may want to do an actual test fit with the tire because different tire brands can have a wide range of widths for the same 'size'.

I have a 2" lift with a stock hitch, non-kdss on stock rims and I can just barely fit a 255/75r17 KO2 AT2 in the spare location. It is fully aired up with an active TPMS sensor. It has less than .5" of space, although you may want to do an actual test fit with the tire because different tire brands can have a wide range of widths for the same 'size'.

thanks. I think I’m going to lean 265/70 to be safe.

i'm new and unfamiliar with how the rear bumpers work, but if you go to an aftermarket metal read bumper that removes the factory tow hitch, does this increase spare tire area?

I suppose once there's a metal bumpers, there's a spare tire swing out too, just trying to evaluate options.

Once again reviving this thread to get a definitive answer. Currently have 285/70/17 k02s on 00 Offset 17x8.5 MR305NV Method rims. Bought a full size spare with the intention of doing JW mount, but after reading more and more about possible weight issues on the hinge welds I'm having some second thoughts. If I was to go down in tire size to 265/70/17 all around would the spare fit underneath? -Attempted to deflate and mount 285/70/17 and it was about 1.5" - 2" too big.
(Non KDSS / No Hitch)

Yes I have some oem 4runner trd pro takeoffs in 265/70/17 in the spare tire well. It fits without rubbing but anything bigger you'd probably need to deflate. I have the 6500lbs hitch though. You might be able to fit something slightly larger without that.

Yes I have some oem 4runner trd pro takeoffs in 265/70/17 in the spare tire well. It fits without rubbing but anything bigger you'd probably need to deflate. I have the 6500lbs hitch though. You might be able to fit something slightly larger without that.
I have a Tacoma spare in the same size under mine. my tire guy said he's definitely stuffed 285 up there.

Will running a .5" less height tire affect any diffs/transmission negatively? Could this be driven for 250 miles home from a road trip? I currently have 285/70/17 and I am thinking of getting a 255/75/17 tire on the OEM spare wheel.

Will running a .5" less height tire affect any diffs/transmission negatively? Could this be driven for 250 miles home from a road trip? I currently have 285/70/17 and I am thinking of getting a 255/75/17 tire on the OEM spare wheel.

people have said that since the GX has open differentials, it won't damage any portion of the differential systems (center or either end).

I think the difference in distance traveled in that much diameter, is very small, probably less than if you cranked the wheel to full lock and drove in circles. if you did that, would the diffs be damaged? I sure hope not. but that does sound like a sort of endurance testing out of a hyperbole sitcom.

2005, been carrying a 285/70 spare underneath with no issues for 5 or 6 years now.
@Scat Adams How did you fit it in... i am assuming there is no air in it... did you use a ratchet strap as well to compress it?

pics would be great too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom