Spare Tire Carrier Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have new bushings to install on my spare tire carrier hinge as the old are very worn out and the carrier rattles tremendously. Anyone done this before? I heard it's tough... but I haven't even looked at it yet.

This was the only rattle on my 82....drove me nuts, so I got new pins and bushing(pre 80 and post 80 are different carriers and pins/bushings BTW) Well it turns out some knuckle head(and I would almost say it was done when built new, but won't sware to it) tack welded the damn bottoms of the pins in. I tried a dremel to grind the welds....gave up on that pretty fast.

So what did I do? I went to hardware store and bought a axe handle protector( a chunk on rubber basicaly, but has voids in the middle) and put it between the carrier mount on body and the spare tire, loosened the tire then put the axe handle thing in, tighten the tire......and no more rattling, heck it even looks stock, can swing the carrier open and it stays put. Cost like $6, I took the $50 of new bushing/pins back to Toyota.

Honestly I can't believe I didn't fix it right.....but it was to the point I would have ruined the body side of the carrier....someday I will find a new carrier.

But in theory I think the pins are "suppose" to come out just like the pins that hold the front doors.

here is a really crappy pic...but you get the idea
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL55/691553/1566988/26687944.jpg

John H

that's not good to hear. I've purchased the bushings, just haven't looked into putting them on yet. I'll have to take a look at that pin and see if its removeable. My front door pins are just about impossible to remove, but they rattle too.

that's not good to hear. I've purchased the bushings, just haven't looked into putting them on yet. I'll have to take a look at that pin and see if its removeable. My front door pins are just about impossible to remove, but they rattle too.

also the pins are splined at the bottom

My front door pins are just about impossible to remove, but they rattle too.
8 Bushings from SOR fix that pretty easily. &nbsp:Do make doors harder to get on and off though.

Word from the not so wise :ugh: : Get some 3 in 1 type oil on them before you put it all together, otherwise you'll end up with some nasty squeaking and it makes it easier to get together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom