SOR saganaw power steering kit: 100-901 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do not cut the steering shaft! Can of worms.

Mr Bikersmurf, I'm still trying to figure out why MOST Mudder's are so hell bent on 4 1/4 turn Saginaw gear boxes that are sloppy on the highway, instead of 3 1/2 turn boxes that give the same "power steering", but with a solid road feel ?????

Mr Bikersmurf, I'm still trying to figure out why MOST Mudder's are so hell bent on 4 1/4 turn Saginaw gear boxes that are sloppy on the highway, instead of 3 1/2 turn boxes that give the same "power steering", but with a solid road feel ?????
Asked and answered many times.

I didn't buy a Scout II box because of the number of turns the box has. I went that route because of how it mounts, and the assist it provides. It isn't sloppy on the highway, and is 100x better than my 40s steering box has ever been in the 31 years I've owned it.

Switching the steering ratio of a Scout II box would require rebuilding it with the guts of a different Saginaw box... if it's even possible at all. It's certainly not something I'm about to try when I'm perfectly happy with my current box. At most, I'll freshen up the box and replace the seals... why make it more difficult than it needs to be.

Aside from that, adjusting the pressure output of the pump can either increase or decrease road feel. The pump's pressure and volume can easily adjusted with modifications that can be done in a few minutes. In my case I kept the stock volume and selected to use components to have lots of pressure. My ability to continue driving my 40 the way I'd like to is reliant on making it easier to drive. Road feel isn't necessary to drive even though it can be helpful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom