Something so simple - carb fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had trouble cold starting my truck for several years now.
I have been very busy building a sprinter conversion and have been neglecting the 45.
I would have to pump thee gas pedal 75-100 times to get the old 2F to start.

Anyway, the van is pretty well done and I'm back looking at the 45.
On a recent drive through SLC I stopped at Cruiser Outfitters to pick up a carb rebuild kit.
I rebuilt the carb about 5 years ago with the same kit from CO.

I've always been "afraid" of working on carbs but I am fairly meticulous and there are excellent tutorials on this forum so I thought I had it done right.

So today I dug into it.
Turns out it was a return spring on the chock that either let loose, or more likely I forgot to hook it up.
It's not real obvious unless you know what you are looking for.
When I pulled the choke button out, it rotated the plate, but because the spring was not hooked up, the choke plate would not close.
The choke cable is not showing in the picture as I removed it to take out the carb.
It was such a simple fix to a problem that has been plaguing me for years.

OK, next up the knuckles.

20230415_125709.jpg

20230415_130406.jpg

gotta like the easy/simple fixes.
something tells me the knuckles will take a bit longer and be a little messier

gotta like the easy/simple fixes.
something tells me the knuckles will take a bit longer and be a little messier

Yeah, big win on the choke problem.
Knuckles, not looking forward to it but the time has come.

You still collecting 40s. I know where one is near Twin Bridges MT.

Wow, still looks pretty good for sitting in a field. I found one in a field a few years ago, not nearly as original.

IMG_0162.jpeg

IMG_0163.jpeg

You still collecting 40s. I know where one is near Twin Bridges MT.

always looking for rigs, finding them the last few years has been a struggle.

PM the info, Thanks
Paul

I have had trouble cold starting my truck for several years now.
I have been very busy building a sprinter conversion and have been neglecting the 45.
I would have to pump thee gas pedal 75-100 times to get the old 2F to start.

Anyway, the van is pretty well done and I'm back looking at the 45.
On a recent drive through SLC I stopped at Cruiser Outfitters to pick up a carb rebuild kit.
I rebuilt the carb about 5 years ago with the same kit from CO.

I've always been "afraid" of working on carbs but I am fairly meticulous and there are excellent tutorials on this forum so I thought I had it done right.

So today I dug into it.
Turns out it was a return spring on the chock that either let loose, or more likely I forgot to hook it up.
It's not real obvious unless you know what you are looking for.
When I pulled the choke button out, it rotated the plate, but because the spring was not hooked up, the choke plate would not close.
The choke cable is not showing in the picture as I removed it to take out the carb.
It was such a simple fix to a problem that has been plaguing me for years.

OK, next up the knuckles.

View attachment 3299167

View attachment 3299168
Great post. I have a sticky choke plate, thought your fix could also be my issue. Nope, spring is attached, but plate is binding a little preventing it from closing. I lightly cleaned body / plate with cc and toothbrush. No dice. My next move will be to remove plate and Emory cloth the edges, clean body, then reinstall plate without dropping the two little brass screws down into the carb😎. Pic to follow..

Great post. I have a sticky choke plate, thought your fix could also be my issue. Nope, spring is attached, but plate is binding a little preventing it from closing. I lightly cleaned body / plate with cc and toothbrush. No dice. My next move will be to remove plate and Emory cloth the edges, clean body, then reinstall plate without dropping the two little brass screws down into the carb😎. Pic to follow..

Thanks.
Have you tried loosening the two screws in the plate and repositioning it?
May also be a bent shaft.

Thanks.
Have you tried loosening the two screws in the plate and repositioning it?
May also be a bent shaft.
I will loosen, reposition and retighten. My other theory is that the stroke of the cable is causing a bind on the shaft …..pushing it a very slight tangent. I will try to align. Thanks for your response.

Loosenes the two little screws (while choke was closed), adjusted /centered plate within opening, and re-rightened.. All good. Sorry to hijack your post, but closely related. Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom