SAS Solid Axle Summit "SAS" 2017 (1 Viewer)

Dates for SAS

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

okay, so what town is it starting in?

View attachment 1383849

do we hit a hotel first, or are we all meeting up at some remote campsite?

I say "we" as if I'm going, because it's not for sure, but if I speak this way, usually I tend to be more successful in going.

I use CalStar out here for remote recovery, life saving, medi flight coverage, is there one like that for Colorado that I can subscribe to?

and on a serious note: do I need a bear box for the charcuterie?
God forbid we lose Pablo's charcuterie.....

I might riot

okay, so what town is it starting in?

View attachment 1383849

do we hit a hotel first, or are we all meeting up at some remote campsite?

I say "we" as if I'm going, because it's not for sure, but if I speak this way, usually I tend to be more successful in going.

I use CalStar out here for remote recovery, life saving, medi flight coverage, is there one like that for Colorado that I can subscribe to?

and on a serious note: do I need a bear box for the charcuterie?

Señor Pablo, I believe "base camp" will be the aforementioned 4J Campground in Ouray. It didn't cost me much, if any, to reserve two spots so if plans change, I'm flexible. And I'd be more concerned with the bipedal animals eating your famous charcuterie!

From my experience in the San Juan Mtns around Ouray, Silverton and Telluride areas you shouldn't worry much about the need for a bear box unless you are wilderness camping. As stated the plan is to be based in Ouray ( pronounced your-ray) at the 4J Campground. Yes bears roam the area because this is their home but being "bear aware" is your best bet. Seal food up out of reach when unattended. Brown and black bear are common in this area, browns are apt to be more secluded and you will see them in the distance on the trail. Moose has been reintroduced so keep your eyes open and you might see one.
Main thing is enjoy nature, packout what you pack in and be aware of your surroundings.

From my experience in the San Juan Mtns around Ouray, Silverton and Telluride areas you shouldn't worry much about the need for a bear box unless you are wilderness camping. As stated the plan is to be based in Ouray ( pronounced your-ray) at the 4J Campground. Yes bears roam the area because this is their home but being "bear aware" is your best bet. Seal food up out of reach when unattended. Brown and black bear are common in this area, browns are apt to be more secluded and you will see them in the distance on the trail. Moose has been reintroduced so keep your eyes open and you might see one.
Main thing is enjoy nature, packout what you pack in and be aware of your surroundings.
They are all black bears.

My mistake, was sure I saw a large brown on the Alpine Loop years ago. Forgot that blacks are sometimes cinnamon in color.

Seen plenty of bear down there and I hillbilly camp in the woods not at established camp grounds never had issue, that said there are plenty of town bears that wonder right around the 4j campgrounds. If any one is coming i70 meet up grand junction and role down together can prob even give ya place to crash if you come in night before. I'm gonna rent cabin in ouray that's right by 4js

Alright guys, @POTATO LAUNCHER and myself are busy trying to setup a good meet spot in Ouray and get a count for T-shirts and stickers. With that being said, we need a headcount of guys who are 50/50 and 100% in so if you don't mind posting up your status on the event that would be great! Thank you.

We will be there 100% and most likely tent camping in Ironton. That's were we camped last time for a Rising sun event and it seemed to work unless we do a recon trip and find a better spot.

If it's the later week, I'm a 50/50 :( wish I could say 100% but I might have a schedule conflict.

In 100%.

You know I'm in and Matt will also drive over.

Stand by, an official announcement and sign up post is on its way.

If you guys don't mind a salty rig from the east I'd definitely be interested in going, not too many breatheren out here and I've been looking for an excuse to go to Colorado

Absolutely, this is more of a "run what ya brung" event. If you have a functioning, driving, dependable solid axle Toyota you meet the criteria. Rust will be overlooked because we all have a some somewhere on our trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom