Soft Tailgate upgrade (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was able to get mine working today. The lower bolt that connects the damper to the tailgate is tough to keep straight and at 90 degrees to the damper. The force from the tailgate drop wants to pull it up as that sheet metal is pretty thin in that location. You can tweak and manipulate it a bit before attaching the dampener eyelet but it will naturally work its way back a bit at an angle. I am hoping the retaining clip holds up as the eyelet is pushing up against the clip and may force it out of the groove over time. All in all, I like it. Drop is a bit slow but my tailgate is not too weighted down at the moment. Here is a video of the tailgate movement and the spot I drilled my hole. I am sure getting the hole location absolutely perfect will help quite a bit. Mine is probably not quite in the sweet spot. I did mine on the right side of the tailgate.

IMG_5805 (1).jpg

I got the kit and installed. The new cable binds up and does not fold in well. Not sure if I did something wrong but here are a few photos.

View attachment 3240030View attachment 3240033View attachment 3240034View attachment 3240035
You are Not alone. I was scratching my Head, and I have beyond Average Mechanical Ability.

I put the Long Machined Nut on Top and The Short on Bottom. This Moves the Shock Slightly Out to give the Cable Clearance.

**The Kit needs a 1 Page Installation Instruction with 3 Pictures showing each Attachment Point - Drill bit size, Tools List, etc.

I used a 4 Prong Grabber Tool - $6 -Home Depot to Hold the Nut and it took 15 minutes to Align.
No Mention of it in Post.

1675905607399.png

You are Not alone. I was scratching my Head, and I have beyond Average Mechanical Ability.

I put the Long Machined Nut on Top and The Short on Bottom. This Moves the Shock Slightly Out to give the Cable Clearance.

**The Kit needs a 1 Page Installation Instruction with 3 Pictures showing each Attachment Point - Drill bit size, Tools List, etc.

I used a 4 Prong Grabber Tool - $6 -Home Depot to Hold the Nut and it took 15 minutes to Align.
No Mention of it in Post.

View attachment 3243121
^^^yup^^^

I looked it all over for about 10 minutes and then set it aside for another time. Praying it’ll work like I’d hoped. But I’ve also wasted more money on less useful things. 🤣

I probably got a bit overly ambitious with this as the site showed one remaining in stock when I bought it. I'm not presently interested in cutting my tailgate for storage (I didn't read carefully enough) so having this probably doesn't make a lot of sense. I'll sell it for what I paid (zelle/cash/USPSmo/bitcoin, no paypal) and I'll eat the shipping cost if anyone is interested. DM me if so. I haven't opened it yet.

***Kit is sold***

Last edited:
I probably got a bit overly ambitious with this as the site showed one remaining in stock when I bought it. I'm not presently interested in cutting my tailgate for storage (I didn't read carefully enough) so having this probably doesn't make a lot of sense. I'll sell it for what I paid (zelle/cash/usps MO, no paypal) and I'll eat the shipping cost if anyone is interested. DM me if so. I haven't opened it yet.
Sent you a mssg

Got my kit in the mail. Doing the install now. It has the new cable. Not sure how that is supposed to work with the custom machined stud. The old style had a reduced width at one end. The new one does not, it is a full width slotted opening. The custom machined stud floats in there like a hot dog in a hallway. Also, because it is full width to the end, the outer dimensions on that end of the cable are wider and it binds up on the "U" latch bracket that is attached to the body of the LC. Can you post up instructions on this new cable?
With the new cable you should have the original stud.

I'll send you a message to get a new one

Sorry for all the binding issues..

I haven't had this issue with mine for any of the cables. I'll take a video maybe there is a way to avoid this that I did unknowingly.

Just getting back from koh

Mine binded so badly that the strut fittings is destroyed and if there is a fix, i would like to get a new kit as now i have a hole drilled on my tailgate.....

Mine binded so badly that the strut fittings is destroyed and if there is a fix, i would like to get a new kit as now i have a hole drilled on my tailgate.....
I need to see where the binding is happening

I think holes are being drilled in the wrong place.

Sent you a mssg
I probably got a bit overly ambitious with this as the site showed one remaining in stock when I bought it. I'm not presently interested in cutting my tailgate for storage (I didn't read carefully enough) so having this probably doesn't make a lot of sense. I'll sell it for what I paid (zelle/cash/USPSmo/bitcoin, no paypal) and I'll eat the shipping cost if anyone is interested. DM me if so. I haven't opened it yet.
Pm sent

i put my kit by myself last year and it works perfect i do have loaded tailgate
i drilled new hole and used piece of metal with slight bend in it to keep the pin square to holding cylinder
View attachment 3243026
This is the way. I did the same thing when I installed mine today. I could see the sheet metal flexing when it was mounted at a single point. With this way it has zero flex and works perfectly.

Sorry for all the binding issues..

I haven't had this issue with mine for any of the cables. I'll take a video maybe there is a way to avoid this that I did unknowingly.

Just getting back from koh
This has probably been answered but what size drill bit for tailgate?
thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom