SOLD SoCal: 2003/Lexus/LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. LX470
Mileage
Color
Silver
TLDR
Miles: 233,054

Selling my 2003 Lexus LX470 100 Series Land Cruiser. I purchased it in January of 2000 from the 2nd owner in Washington State with ~192k miles. In the last 4 years, I have completed quite a bit of (expensive) maintenance. After taking numerous trips around Southern California, the South West, and a cross country road trip that took our family of 4 as far east as Chattanooga Tennessee, I am selling because we are changing our overlanding/adventuring setup to a Four Wheel Camper and a full sized truck. The truck is currently sitting at 233,054 miles. This will go up a little, but it is not my daily driver. I will bundle the roof tent with the LX (assuming the tent hasn’t sold by itself).

IMHO this is a solid 100 series. It is 20 years old, and with that comes maintenance items. If you’re the buyer, I want you to know about all of the issues that I’ve become aware of and have not resolved in the last 4 years of ownership. See the not so good list below.

More photos: 2003 LX 470 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZJT7PD1bv5nEUZYe6

The Good:
  • Slee front and rear bumper with dual swing-out
  • Opar rock sliders
  • 9k lb TJM winch with synthetic line and wireless winch controller
  • 5x 275/70/18 BFG TA KO 2 with 12-13/32nds of tread on 5x Tundra 18” wheels
  • Gamiviti Roof Rack with 6 attachment points.
  • AHC completely removed and Dobinsons Suspension installed with ~2 inch lift. The lift includes diff drop, IMS shocks (they ride great), new torsion bars, and medium duty springs in the rear.
  • Ultragauge to monitor OBD2 outputs. Ie: calculate MPGs, track miles for oil changes
  • I believe (almost) every suspension bushing has been replaced in the last 4 years
  • Very secure Ram ball mounts for holding a tablet/cellphone/Ham-GMRS radio/etc. More info here: Tablet, Phone & Ham Radio mount solution for '03 LX w/Nav - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tablet-phone-ham-radio-mount-solution-for-03-lx-w-nav.1218843/ It is a great solution for overlanding and running tablet for mapping/entertainment.
  • 6 in-cabin switches installed in the overhead panel with a 3D printed panel. These switches actuate a relay box under the hood.
  • Landshark Reef drawers in the rear. They allow a flat surface with the 2nd row folded forward.
  • Tilting fridge slide that will accommodate CFX3 95 Dual Zone (a very large fridge).
  • Cage around fridge slide to keep gear from impacting fridge sliding.
  • Desert Does It Seat Jackers
  • New leather installed on the front seats from Ridies
  • Lutz Auto - Speedometer Corrector. This helps the transmission shift at the correct RPMs
  • Deep cycle AGM battery
  • Trail Tailor Rear Control Arms (Upper and Lower)
  • Trail Tailor Rear Lower Control Arm skid plates
  • Front, Center, Rear Differential fluid changed
  • Complete Spare OEM CV Axle
  • Swing out for Bike Rack detachable from Slee bumper, and not part of the Slee swingout. (Saris bike rack not included)
  • Timing belt done on 6/8/2018 at 182,123 miles. ~51k on the current timing belt, change interval is 90k.
  • Stack of receipts providing documentation to the maintenance.

The Not as Good:
  • The hood and quarter panel have a dent near the front passenger side from the previous owner’s nephew who ran into the truck with a dirt bike
  • One of the previous owners installed one of those JDM front corner mirrors on the driver’s sided. I have removed it, but it did leave a couple of holes. To keep stuff out of the hole, I covered the holes with tape.
  • Inner tie rod boot on the driver’s side is torn. There is some fluid build up in the torn boot, but it doesn’t come out enough to cause a drip spot in the driveway. Additionally, sometimes a full lock to the left, power steering will cut out until the steering is manually turned to the right a few degrees.
  • Sometimes the gauges all cut out, and then kick back in. Not super common, but it does happen on 100 series. Not sure where the issue is. Odometer & trip meter still tick along just fine. It seems like whatever is powering the stepper motors cuts out and the gauges will freeze or drop to zero.
  • Valve cover gasket on the passenger side is seeping oil. This is a VERY minor seep, but enough to collect dust on the lower edge of the cover.
  • The BFG TA KO 2s don’t have a lot of miles on them, but I’ve never been happy with how they balanced out even after a few trips to a couple of tire shops.
  • New leather seat color is not a perfect color match.
  • The top of the radiator is starting to turn the color that indicates it will need to be replaced. No leaks or cracks, and it cools just fine. It looks worse in the photos, but something to keep an eye on.
  • While driving the Rim Rocker Trail in 2022, we traversed a well traveled dirt road leading into Montrose CO that was JUST treated with some kind of dust mitigation liquid. This splashed up under the truck and while I did try to wash it off, it caused all exposed metal to develop corrosion.
  • Wheels have a little rock rash as a result of going up Dedeckera Canyon in Death Valley.

Maintenance Maintenance Maintenance!
  • 5/12/2016 - Transmission & AHC Fluid (AHC since removed)
  • 6/28/2016 - OPOR Sliders
  • 8/22/2016 - Fuel FIlter
  • 8/31/2016 - Slee Blueberry Front Bumper
  • 11/09/2016 - Water Pipe x2
  • 6/8/2018 - Timing Belt
  • 10/11/2018 - Slee Rear Bumper & Swingouts
  • 02/20/2020 - Front Rotors, Front Brake Pads, Rear Brake Pads
  • 3/17/2020 - Spidertrax Spacer - 1.25"
  • 3/22/2020 - Timken Wheel Bearing & Seals for front wheels
  • 4/24/2020 - AGM Battery
  • 6/6/2020 - Denso Alternator from Lexus
  • 8/31/2020 - Brand New Replacement Brake Booster from Toyota
  • 10/29/2020 - Front Swaybar Links
  • 5/15/2021 - Front Axle Oil Seal - Passenger
  • 8/20/2021 - Dobinsons Suspension & Diff Drop
  • 11/24/2021 - Lutz Auto Speedometer Corrector
  • 6/2/2022 - Front Lower Control Arm Bushings and 555 Ball Joints
  • 8/1/2022 - Front Diff Bushings
  • 9/14/2022 - Trail Tailor Rear Control Arms (Upper & Lower)
  • 9/24/2022 - Brake Pads Front & Rear (preventative, but could have gone longer)
  • 12/09/2022 - 8 Spark Plugs
  • 12/12/2022 - Denso Coil x4
  • 2/23/2023 - New CV Shaft from Toyota
  • 2/27/2023 - CV Shaft Inner from Toyota (outer rebuilt)
  • 1/3/2024 - New Driver’s side OEM Catalytic converter from Ourisman Toyota of Richmond
  • 1/11/2024 - New ASIN Fan pulley bracket

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom