SOA Sway bars (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! I did some searches on sway bars for my 1977 FJ40 SOA, but have not found what I’m looking for. First, I am getting ready to put my hard top on. The extra weight up high will make it a little to squirly for everyday driving. Second, as this is my go to for driving, I would like for it to handle a little better on road. Off-road it is great. What are you using? Brand and results? I remember that a Volvo sway bar worked well but can’t find the year and car. Also front or back for mounting. Thanks for all the knowledge!

RockJock is expensive, but heavy duty and adjustable.

Sway Bars…Really???? The FJ40 hard top is a ‘tuna can’, there is no weight. Get some new shocks, make sure the springs and bushings are still holding up the back end….sway bars are the least of your worries😎

A SOA 40 is like driving a tall brick. Wind is more of an issue than weight. It also depends on how tall you SOA is. Pics would help.

On my low SOA 40, I had no body roll issues once I put Rancho R9000 shocks on it.

Pigs got swaybars, i got mine lengthened for the SOA.

20220126_143350.jpg

A good sway bar isn't going to be cheap. Are you wanting a disconnectable bar? Curie Antirocks are nice, as are the ruff stuff bars. If you are going non-disconnectable, I'd weigh your rig and see if you can get a closely matching bar for what you are planning on driving. If disconnectable, I'd go slightly heavier for better on-road handling. You can always add longer or shorter arms to tune it as well.

A SOA 40 is like driving a tall brick. Wind is more of an issue than weight. It also depends on how tall you SOA is. Pics would help.

On my low SOA 40, I had no body roll issues once I put Rancho R9000 shocks on it.
@pjohnson how did you mount the rear shocks to the axle? Thank you!

A good sway bar isn't going to be cheap. Are you wanting a disconnectable bar? Curie Antirocks are nice, as are the ruff stuff bars. If you are going non-disconnectable, I'd weigh your rig and see if you can get a closely matching bar for what you are planning on driving. If disconnectable, I'd go slightly heavier for better on-road handling. You can always add longer or shorter arms to tune it as well.
@DangerNoodle i am looking for a disconnect-able bar. Thanks for the suggestion!

@DangerNoodle i am looking for a disconnect-able bar. Thanks for the suggestion!

Check out @Godfather90's build for his sway bar specs. His rig rides great. A non-disconnectable sway bar is also a very easy option that doesn't really affect flex much, and can help keep everything pretty stable in tippy situations.

Check out @Godfather90's build for his sway bar specs. His rig rides great. A non-disconnectable sway bar is also a very easy option that doesn't really affect flex much, and can help keep everything pretty stable in tippy situations.
I will! Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom