Snow Chains : Front or rear? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Haven't looked at the owner's manual to see what the manufacturer recommends when running chains on an 80 with AWD.

I can see how slapping them on the front would be beneficial when it comes to traction and steering, but might be a little noisy.
🤷‍♂️

I wouldn't personally run chains for an extended distance unless it was purely in a snowy off road situation. Understandably you may be considering it for firmly packed snow covered roads. Only chaining up with the front or rear and running a long distance could potentially cause damage to drive train components. I would use them to get unstuck then proceed.. assuming you have good tread on your tires.
If the question came up because you are planning to go over a mountains pass requiring 4wd or chains, you don't need both. If you get stuck, whip them out or let someone help you out. If you don't need to be out driving in conditions needing both chains and AWD on normal roads, don't be. Just my .02
Hope this was helpful

Screenshot 2022-12-28 184631.png

nothing beats reading the manual...

Well, download one, then you'll have it. They're free in the Resources section.

Haven't looked at the owner's manual to see what the manufacturer recommends when running chains on an 80 with AWD.

I can see how slapping them on the front would be beneficial when it comes to traction and steering, but might be a little noisy.
🤷‍♂️

Half a century ago my dad's "rule" was chain the front going up hill and chain the rear going down hill. Or, chain all 4 corners.

Chains are going to make noise at either end. When it comes to the front axle clearance becomes even more important.

I recently purchased chains, installed for the first time today. I only bought two so I installed on the front for increased steering control. They worked well on solid ice.

00BEF226-FB43-4712-B198-6ACD6142537E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom