Snow and Ice Performance/VSC Disable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you please explain the differences with the two "ON" switch positions? Either I need more coffee or I am just slow... or both

This is a three position switch. On my application, push the switch in on the top (single dash) closes the circuit from CDL to the ECU for normal mode. Push the switch in on the bottom (double dash) closes the circuit from ground to the ECU for VSC off mode. Center position is an open circuit causing an error for all Nanny off. To go from normal to VSC off do not pause in the middle, go straight through if that makes sense. You have about 1 second for an open condition before the error codes will get thrown and you will be in all Nanny off mode. It sounds like a short time period but it is actually well within how one would normally flip a switch.

My mod was performed on a 2006. Please use a multi-meter to test your switch function before installing. Just as with any mod here on MUD, use at your own risk. I will update my earlier post with this.

If all someone was interested in was having the option of disabling VSC, would a normal two position switch work? I.e. "off" position would be closed circuit between CDL and ECU (normal mode), and "on" would be closed circuit between ECU and ground (VSC off mode). Thereby use one of these OE Toyota switches

esepupyd.jpg

This would be a nice little upgrade. I wish someone would make a plug and play harness.

@bravoleader, I think that switch might work based on the cutaway. It appears to be more than a simple on off switch. If you have the EWD for the vehicle you got it from that would tell you. If not, then a little time with a multi-meter would tell you. That might be a great little find for simple VSC off switch.

Toyota 4 pin switch are normally off. The other two pin is for the illumination. It will work but require relay which complicate the install.

View attachment 1758716

This picture below shows the connector taken apart and the location of pin 7 partially removed. Note that there are 2 green with white stripe wires, the other is pin 1 and goes to the instrument cluster. I removed the pin for testing purposes. You can either cut it or use clips to make the necessary connections for this mod. For the remainder of the description I will refer to the part of the terminal that remains in place as the ECU side. The part in your hand is the CDL side.

@JLee this connector might be where you need to trace your problem. It seems your truck is loosing the ground for the CDL detection signal.

Gunna bump this to top as winter is coming. Hopefully more people try and have success stories so i can build my confidence :)

whelp...I'm doing this today. Likely just cutting the wire, inbound to top of switch, ground to bottom of switch, to connector on middle. Will report back.

I had to wait for parts as I couldn't find anything local, but I have it all now!!!

I have parts! Going to get it done this weekend!

Basically planning this:
1603310689519.png

Problem...my 03 doesn't have the same pin out or wires as your 06. I have the IB2 connector but the pins are not populated the same.

Would it be possible to get a hand on determining the right wire in an 03? I attached the EWD.

1603380259691.png

Attachments

• GXEWD.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 223
Looking further...I think the 03 and early 04 are actually wired like the 4R. I am going to check the 4WD ECU and see if I can find the wire to ground over there.

@Vlad page 40 of the file shows connector IO3 pin 16. I cannot find the location of that connector in the car. It might be the same location as IB7 connector but I am not sure.

The EWD should have a section that shows the connector locations. It looks like what you posted is one of several files for the complete EWD?

IO3 pin 16 looks like where the ground signal goes into the Skid ECU from the 4Lo signal, see page 45. I’ll look more into it tomorrow, but it looks like you are missing the blue connector path and the ground goes by way of the J20 junction connector. It looks like you want beak the G-W wire connection between J20 and Skid ECU to be consistent with how I did the mod.

Last edited:
The EWD should have a section that shows the connector locations. It looks like what you posted is one of several files for the complete EWD?

IO3 pin 16 looks like where the ground signal goes into the Skid ECU from the 4Lo signal, see page 45. I’ll look more into it tomorrow, but it looks like you are missing the blue connector path and the ground goes by way of the J20 junction connector. It looks like you want beak the G-W wire connection between J20 and Skid ECU to be consistent with how I did the mod.

Thanks, now I have to figure out if 1, that is correct, and 2, where the hell that J20 connector is lol

Below are a couple of pics. The first is mine showing the blue IB2 connector. You can see the CDL ECU wire is labeled PI and goes to the Skid control ECU marked EXI. The second and third are from your EWD.

6682D95C-F735-44B4-B786-362F90DF81E4.jpeg

On yours below you can see the CDL ECU wire marked PI. Note: <15-9> corresponds to page number and section to continue tracing.

54CA0120-BD3C-4DA3-B5C9-382FCB691CDE.jpeg

Below you can see the same wire connected to the Skid ECU marked EXI. Note <18-3> corresponds to page number and section to continue tracing.

16430ABD-0065-4E0D-A31D-6D74DA7BD516.jpeg

If it were me, I would insert the switch between J20 and the Skid ECU. You can test by grounding with a probe first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom