Snorkel Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Egt’s probably aren’t going to change much based on the type of intake overall (snorkel, high mount, standard can) however I could see the type of top hat having an affect on egts. Think cyclonic prefilter compared to typical forward facing head.

I installed a snorkel on my 77 and instantly regretted it because I experienced noticeable power loss. The problem with the 77 especially is the number of bends required to route the air through the snorkel and into the air box, there are a number of 90 and 180 degree bends which adds significant losses. To confirm, i installed a gauge on the piping coming out of the air box before the turbo and found I was pulling vacuum under max boost, which is not what you want. Ended up switching to a chevy air box and fabbing up custom piping to eliminate the bends and have a direct route from the snorkel into the air box. Immediately noticed the turbo spooling much faster and by far better performance. Did the gauge test with new setup and did not experience any vacuum. I think the stock air box is restrictive in itself, the added loss through the snorkel amplifies the problem to where it actually effects performance. If i was to do it all over, I would not install the snorkel and go with the chevy box only. Let's be serious the snorkel is just for looks, if you were to actually do a water crossing where it would be needed, you will ruin many other things before that point. As for cleaner air intake, again it would have to be extreme conditions before it makes any difference. My 2 cents based on actual experience.

Really appreciate the feedback from everyone - thank you for the good discussion!
Since the looks of the snorkel don’t appeal to me THAT much, I don’t have excessively dusty roads to travel, and my deep water crossings will be kept to a minimum, I believe that I have better things to spend my money on.

Good input everyone. @Lenny33 if youre about to do water crossings, keep dpeed and bow wake consistent. My air box, factory opened up behind the right corner light. So long as you don’t stop, no dramas.

so my results from the Landcruiser branded snorkel that I fitted
so its for a 6 cylinder or v8 not sure but pretty much fits guard ok, no template but my guessing was pretty close(couple of beers and a close one eye line up with a 100mm holesaw eeek!)

little mod and it goes straight onto factory airbox

Up my "test hill" which is on my way to work, commonly known as the "Bombay cook" (the area is called Bombay) where all the truck and trailers, nissan terranos, toyota surfs,nissan navaras and mistsi 2.8s all blow up or cook I am actually seeing a speed increase of around 4-5KM/HR after fitting snorkel which is really good , snorkel is fully sealed, factory airbox and cheapo paper filter

Also noticed engine fan doesn't seem to engage nearly as much as it used to after lots of "racing" around my rural area and fuel consumption has improved a little due to the fan not always loading up the motor

some pics that I sent lenny but for anyone else that might want to have a looksee

Just when I thought I had this all figured out, you go and send me an example of a snorkel working the way I would want it to work! 😉

Sorry bout that- kinda of like the 2.5" vs the 3.0" exhaust differences , never to sure and hard come to decision
I only did it because it was cheap- and I like cheap and cheerful!
I definitely think the 1KZTE would benefit from a K&N style filter as well , might be the next $100 dollar investment

Sorry bout that- kinda of like the 2.5" vs the 3.0" exhaust differences , never to sure and hard come to decision
I only did it because it was cheap- and I like cheap and cheerful!
I definitely think the 1KZTE would benefit from a K&N style filter as well , might be the next $100 dollar investment

I have read that using a K&N filter can pull oil through to your turbo?

Ive used them plenty, on all sorts, even got an old one on my 1966 444 international tractor, got one on my paddock basher nissan safari 4.2 turbo, got one on my old holden v8, super easy to clean and I just use old motorcross airfilter oil to reoil the filter, not all are K&N filters- Ive got a couple of copies, but over summer when I will be doing alot of gravel driving I think an oiled filter will be a must have

Have you read the same thing - has that been a concern for you? Or am I way off base?

I actually never read anything about oil getting sucked through, me and my brother were using K&N filters way back in the day before the internet was even really a thing, thats back when K&N were pretty much the only after market filter you could get other than Ramflow

Always had good results with K&N style filters

This is my channel on you tube with some of the examples of stuff we get up to, no landcruiser stuff but lots of car butchery

I actually never read anything about oil getting sucked through, me and my brother were using K&N filters way back in the day before the internet was even really a thing, thats back when K&N were pretty much the only after market filter you could get other than Ramflow

Always had good results with K&N style filters

This is my channel on you tube with some of the examples of stuff we get up to, no landcruiser stuff but lots of car butchery

Sweet - I’ll check it out!

Oem air filter is best. Don’t believe the hype. In very rare cases (read: track race car) do cone filters provide benefit.

One article but it’s supported by numerous essays backed by evidence-based testing.

This is the same as what i installed on my 2lte lj78, i back it as a unit and have found with a ram flow top its made a difference by pushing cool air into the motor, not huge but all things help the big picture.

i got mine from here. they seem to be available from a number of outlets so i'm assuming they are the standard ebay no name option

Segedin Truck & Auto Parts (STA Parts) - Performance Automotive Parts Store > View A Product

fits the guards well, just need to play with the connection hose.

A012698-R1-03-33A.JPG

that looks identical to the kit I bought, it is tricky lining up that angled pipe to the guard

Im buying an "over hyped" K&N style filter this weekend , and give it the bombay test

so my results from the Landcruiser branded snorkel that I fitted
so its for a 6 cylinder or v8 not sure but pretty much fits guard ok, no template but my guessing was pretty close(couple of beers and a close one eye line up with a 100mm holesaw eeek!)

little mod and it goes straight onto factory airbox

Up my "test hill" which is on my way to work, commonly known as the "Bombay cook" (the area is called Bombay) where all the truck and trailers, nissan terranos, toyota surfs,nissan navaras and mistsi 2.8s all blow up or cook I am actually seeing a speed increase of around 4-5KM/HR after fitting snorkel which is really good , snorkel is fully sealed, factory airbox and cheapo paper filter

Also noticed engine fan doesn't seem to engage nearly as much as it used to after lots of "racing" around my rural area and fuel consumption has improved a little due to the fan not always loading up the motor

some pics that I sent lenny but for anyone else that might want to have a looksee

Can you tell me where you sourced that? I’m looking for OEM for a LHD 75 pickup.

Can you tell me where you sourced that? I’m looking for OEM for a LHD 75 pickup.

OEM kit is available for your truck... given the state of your truck I wouldn't do anything but OEM parts... just sayin'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom