Snapped output shaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I read a thread about using a puller (all examples seemed to be tabletop, not in vehicle). Is it really just the three 17mm bolts holding it in (other than the press bearing)?

One shown here, and 2 above

154203CB-8CC6-4AD6-8C74-020F9384CF04.jpeg

Two more bolts inside the side cover.

And yes, that is the ‘special’ case for which there are limited replacement parts.

Two more bolts inside the side cover.

And yes, that is the ‘special’ case for which there are limited replacement parts.
Awesome. I could have a rebuilt one sent from Brazil in my buddies next shipment of VWs, but I really wanted to do it myself. I wonder if a US variety would bolt up?

is this a 1 piece transfer on a 5 speed??

You measured the output shaft. In your pic the idler shaft has the redish goop around it. Sort of in the center of the case.

Last edited:

Whats special? Late model solid case that was never here?

Ok, it's time this thread had some twisted shaft Gee Whiz information from the old timer. Don't know about shorter shafts like yours, but back in the day the guys racing Baja would paint a white line down their rear axle shafts. The shafts would start having a permanent twist on day one, then they would finally snap once they had about a full 360 degree twist. The racers wouldn't start a race on a shaft that had a 180 degree twist in it, but they would carry that shaft in their chase truck as a "spare/limp home/finish the race" shaft.

Any good ideas on how to remove this nut that’s on the tranny shaft? I have two problems.
1. as I try and turn it, I already removed the drive lines and it wants to spin
2. The crush part of the nut must have been hit with a hammer. It really doesn’t want to un-crush.

0C0D7540-CFFA-4D73-89E9-1E90FB14C1F0.jpeg

is the transmision in gear with wheels chocked? that may help in keeping it from turning
an impact gun will work
a small chisel to get in the groove and bend the tab back out

any or all of the above

Isn’t that the middle one? I’ve tried to find a labeled diagram, but have been unsuccessful. You may be under the impression that I know what I’m doing.

Yes, the middle one you measured is it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom