Small turning radius on 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I have converted the 80 from 1FZ-FE to 1HD-FTE engine, seems that the power steering pump is on its way out as when I try to move the wheel at low speed or standing it makes a lot of noises. There seem also a lot of bubbles in the reservoir itself. I have tried to take the air out of the system by having the steering wheel turning left and right but it doesn't seem to be helping.

The main issue which I have is that the turning radius is small, I can turn the wheel one and a half turn to the left and right. The steering box was rebuilt with the new gaskets and worm gear valve body. Can this be caused by not a proper rebuild of the steering box? I have also checked that the tire rod is not binding.

sounds like a bad rebuild. And from what I gather your turning circle hasn't changed, what you are describing is the number of turns from lock to lock. The turning circle is the physical radius the vehicle turns in.

How long ago was the box rebuilt?

Does it turn to the steering stops? Turn the wheel as far as it well, then look at the front axle to see if it's at the stop. Do the same thing the other way.
You well be able to see if its turning all the way or not.

sounds like a bad rebuild. And from what I gather your turning circle hasn't changed, what you are describing is the number of turns from lock to lock. The turning circle is the physical radius the vehicle turns in.

How long ago was the box rebuilt?
Yes, the number of turns from lock to lock definitely changed. I am just curious if not properly rebuilding the steering box could be the root cause of this.

Does it turn to the steering stops? Turn the wheel as far as it well, then look at the front axle to see if it's at the stop. Do the same thing the other way.
You well be able to see if its turning all the way or not.
No, it doesn't reach the steering stop on the knuckle, that's the first thing I checked.

100% Agree with Broski, check to see if the steering knuckles are contacting the stops when you have the wheel turned all the way to the locks. Check both.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't reach the steering stop on the knuckle, that's the first thing I checked.
Then the problem is definitely in the steering box.

Do you have more details about how that could be? Is it that the preload wasn't set correctly on the input shaft?

Or the pitman arm isn't installed correctly, or the linkage isn't adjusted properly. In fact, I can't think of a way to put the box together that would cause this issue, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

Bubbles in the reservoir could be the o-ring at the inlet pipe on the pump, or the return hose itself.

Last edited:
Or the pitman arm isn't installed correctly, or the linkage isn't adjusted properly. In fact, I can't think of a way to put the box together that would cause this issue, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

Bubbles in the reservoir could be the o-ring at the inlet pipe on the pump, or the return hose itself.
Thanks for the reply, if the pitman's arm isn't installed properly then I would have more turns in one direction. If the steering box wasn't centered properly then I would have also more movement in one direction, don't you think?

If the preload was really overtight, I could see it binding at the extremes of travel, simply because there is little use of the rack in the box at that position, hence little wear. Since your box isn't working right anyway, loosing the preload screw on the top of the box and see if anything changes.

Your right, I was just assuming because the Box was just rebuilt.
If it's not hitting the steering stops either way then it's not the Pitman Arm ( there are alignment marks on the pitman arm & sector ) easy to check and I don't what other linkage would cause this. 🤷‍♂️

Do you have more details about how that could be? Is it that the preload wasn't set correctly on the input shaft?
Sorry I don't, I was going by the process of elimination. I shouldn't have used the word definitely. But if you just had the box rebuilt and now you having issues ?

So it looks that the alignment shop did put the pitman arm not correctly and also that the bracket on the tie rod is actually binding on radius arm
EC457C43-C039-4009-8264-FC3B9A7137C0.jpeg
08042926-FD39-44BD-AB66-E3DE3DB4D0E0.jpeg

Those marks need to line up. And the clamp need to face straight up.

So your pitman arm is on backwards or upside down or something? You can see the interference?
It's probably just wrong perspective, the marks on pitman arm only on one side and it's not possible to put it backwards I believe

You right about the Arm, just needs to be lined up. But I just checked and my clamps don’t reach the control arms at full lock.
Also it’s possible that the pitman arm is off by a full turn or more.

This is about what the arm should look like when the wheels are straight

4A5EE2AC-AA68-4E1C-A240-63DA9C263017.jpeg

The thing is, if it was put on when the box was out by a full turn, he wouldn’t be limited in both directions an equal amount.

It does seem like there is something wrong with the steering box or something reassembled very wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom