SM465 adapter plate ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looking for a adapter plate to combine a SM465 transmission to an 78 FJ40 transfer case, I'd like to find some that is not 7 inch plus long, like the Advance Adapters setup. Are Woody or Spaceghost still making plates? thanks for any information BigMoose

I looking for a adapter plate to combine a SM465 transmission to an 78 FJ40 transfer case, I'd like to find some that is not 7 inch plus long, like the Advance Adapters setup. Are Woody or Spaceghost still making plates? thanks for any information BigMoose

I believe that Woody is no longer making plates. You can get them from Classic Cruisers for $400-500. I thought that Spaceghost only made them for the 420 but I might be wrong.

Leaping Deer, Hello for Pennsylvania, I heard others ih8mud members post thier dislike of the Classic Cruisers plate, because the weak metal used in making the plates? Have you seen the same?

I bought an adapter from Classic Cruiser. It's 1" solid steel.

I heard they used to make 'em out of aluminum and those would get squishy after a while. They don't make them like that any more.

AWP_ Cruiser, thanks for the feedback, are you pretty happy with Classic Cruisers or would you buy the adapter elsewhere?

Can you still get these adapters anywhere? I do not see them on Classic Cruisers site.

Can you still get these adapters anywhere? I do not see them on Classic Cruisers site.

You could always have a machine shop make something custom, but the difficult part is matching the splines.

I have a plate from Promac (?) , but I think they’re out of business. If you get a coarse spline sm465, it just needs to be tapped for a bolt to hold the Toyota input gear in place. The adapter isn’t rocket science, but it’s going to take some time to do right. Sorry I don’t have any pics of it.

I have a plate from Promac (?) , but I think they’re out of business. If you get a coarse spline sm465, it just needs to be tapped for a bolt to hold the Toyota input gear in place. The adapter isn’t rocket science, but it’s going to take some time to do right. Sorry I don’t have any pics of it.

I think that would be all that it is, as long as you have a 3 speed transfer case. Do you know if you can change the 3 speed input gear with the 4 speed?

You could always have a machine shop make something custom, but the difficult part is matching the splines.
Yeah, I don't know all of the geometry and I'd probably miss something critical in getting something fabricated. I appreciate the suggestion.

That may be what I need? I have a 10 spline 4x4 SM465 that I'm wanting to connect to a 3 speed transfer case. Is that what I need? I know I'd need to get the SM465's output shaft tapped. Thanks!

How hard is it to drill/tap an SM465 output shaft? I have heard it's nearly impossible. My transmission was just mounted to the motor too.

I have an OLD Advance Adapters adapter that is 7" long that will work. I just don't want to use that now. It's way too long and going to make the driveshaft way too short.

If that's what I need, I'm definitely interested in it. Message me and let me know what you want for it. Thanks!

How hard is it to drill/tap an SM465 output shaft? I have heard it's nearly impossible. My transmission was just mounted to the motor too.

I have an OLD Advance Adapters adapter that is 7" long that will work. I just don't want to use that now. It's way too long and going to make the driveshaft way too short.

You would probably need to remove the output shaft from the trans and take it to a machine shop. They should be able to do it easily.

You would probably need to remove the output shaft from the trans and take it to a machine shop. They should be able to do it easily.
Yeah, I guess I could do that with it already hooked up to the motor. I really don't want to have to break into that transmission though. I bought it rebuilt and all sealed up good. I guess I'd do it if I could get a smaller adapter. The old AA adapter is 7". It would be a big deal to save 6" in the swap.

Yeah, I guess I could do that with it already hooked up to the motor. I really don't want to have to break into that transmission though. I bought it rebuilt and all sealed up good. I guess I'd do it if I could get a smaller adapter. The old AA adapter is 7". It would be a big deal to save 6" in the swap.

I feel ya there. I just went through making an adapter for my NV4500 to Toybox that ended up in my current build. It just took some time to get it done, but the machine shop I chose did everything. Driveline lengths become a huge problem with the 40's, so I think it may be with your time to see if a shop could whip up an aluminum mounting plate, as long as they can heat treat it. It may take you back several steps, but in the long run, it may be worth it.

I got mine from @Shawn Russell 5 or 6 years ago. Don’t know if he is still making them.
I also have one of the 7” long Advance adapters for sale!!

I got mine from @Shawn Russell 5 or 6 years ago. Don’t know if he is still making them.
I also have one of the 7” long Advance adapters for

I also have one of the 7” long Advance adapters for sale!!
Thanks. I'll see if he has anything available too. If I can find anything shorter, I'll have a 7" long adapter for sale too!

If that's what I need, I'm definitely interested in it. Message me and let me know what you want for it. Thanks!
Sorry, it’s in use. I do think it’s a nice alternative for sure. You get good lengths in the driveshafts. It does, slightly, rotate the the transfer case down, but I think it’s a good trade off for the longer rear driveshaft. If you pulled the tranny and transfer and took it into a machine shop they could likely figure out the pattern. Have a couple made and maybe you can cover the cost.
When I did mine~20 years ago they sold an output already tapped or you could do as @DangerNoodle says. I opted for the new shaft. Your not gonna scratch the output in a home garage. These trannys were used in one ton trucks and that thing is beefy.

The new sm465 to 10 spline should only be 4.5" long which would make the overall assembly close to a Toyota 5 speed

I used to build the plate style for 420s but the two bolts located behind the PTO cover had a tendency to loosen up over time which required draining the t-case, thoroughly cleaning
and reapplying locktite before reassembly. The extra length of the adapter gives better clearance for the front driveshaft

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom