SM420 clutch options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have a 76' 2F mated to a stock three speed, but will soon be replacing that with a SM420. I am looking at clutch/pressure plate options for this swap. From what I have read, it looks like I could go with an 11" clutch from a '75 Chevy truck with a V8. The Duralast and Valucraft versions aren't too expensive ($45/$40 respectively), but how do they compare to the Centerforce II? Is it worth the extra money for a Centerforce?

Thanks

I had a Centerforce and it was fine, but it was the only type my parts shop had in stock. I wouldn't pay extra for it if I didn't have to.

I'm using the stock Cruiser pressure plate and a chevy disk. Works fine.

Do I need to get the Toyota pressure plate, or can I use the Chevy pressure plate for the same application as the 11" clutch disk? I'm asking because the Toyota pressure plate is about double the price as the Chevy. And what about the release and T/O bearings? Get the correct ones for my LC or use the ones that match the Chevy clutch application?

It's been awhile, but you need the Toyota pressure plate to bolt to the flywheel and the Chevy clutch disc to match the output splines of the SM420. the trow out bearing is stock Toyota and the Pilot bearing is a special one if I remember it right.

The pressure plate is specific to the flywheel. Toyota goes with Toyota and GM with GM. That is the only way it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom